Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

2 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What would you do if there was a black widow in an area in which children play?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • kill it

71 51.45%
  • safely move it

49 35.51%
  • leave it there

18 13.04%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: black widow placed web on telephone pole and side walk, what should I do?

i love spiders/tarantulas and as a tarantula keeper i have to say either leave it alone or safely move it. the only reason they would bite you is because you tried holding it with your bare hand.their fangs are small so in order for them to bite you, you have to really make them mad.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

I used to catch black widows all the time. All you need is a stick and a jar. So i say you can safely move it, why would you want to kill it anyway? They are super easy to catch, and believe it or not pretty docile spiders.

Thanks

Black Widows are not gonna attack anybody period. It is not in their nature, as a matter of fact they are quite docile. Just like a ball python. They are rather curl into a ball when treatened than byte , and the only time they byte is when they are in immediate danger of being crushed. Example of that is when they get in you shoes and or under your clothes and you try to put them on.I've played with BW on a few occasions while taking photographs.
    So that pretty much explains it whether they should be killed for no reason or simply removed, and when you move them don't pick them with your fingers of course but let them climb onto something and than toss them outside.

Thanks

This poll makes me a little angry. I don't think any of us have the right to sit around and discuss someone or something else's fate. The spider is not hurting anybody. If you hadn't noticed it, the spider would probably live out its life happily without any trouble.

That spider has just as much right to live as any other creature. It can't help the fact that it has a natural defense which is harmful to humans. And it certainly isn't going to hunt anyone down. If you're so concerned with it, then move the thing safely. Otherwise, let it be.

Thanks

i just left him there i did not want to disrupt it.
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python, 0.1.0 Albino Ball Python, 1.0.0 Spider Ball Python, 0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0.0 Sorong Type Green Tree Python, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Why would the poll and resulting discussion make you angry?
    It shows people that black widows are not as dangerous as people make them out to be. It shows how to SAFELY move a venomous spider, in order to keep both it and others safe.
    Since the OP mentioned kids nearby, it's entirely possible that someone could get bitten, and it's just as possible that it being on a telephone pole means someone else could spot it and smush it, so it's a legimate thing to wonder if it would be best to move it to a safer area.
    I just don't understand the thread making someone angry, as if somehow our discussing it will somehow make the spider unhappy.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Why would the poll and resulting discussion make you angry?
    It shows people that black widows are not as dangerous as people make them out to be. It shows how to SAFELY move a venomous spider, in order to keep both it and others safe.
    Since the OP mentioned kids nearby, it's entirely possible that someone could get bitten, and it's just as possible that it being on a telephone pole means someone else could spot it and smush it, so it's a legimate thing to wonder if it would be best to move it to a safer area.
    I just don't understand the thread making someone angry, as if somehow our discussing it will somehow make the spider unhappy.
    well put! the person just wanted advice and many people gave information on how to safely move the spider so it would be out of harms way. even if they didn't kill it/move it.. TRUST ME someone would come along and kill it, because thats just they way people work.

Thanks

i see them all the time in GA and never bother them, Ive only found one inside my house and when i was just a kid( sadly i was and still am scared of spiders to at the time the only thing i thought i could do was shoot it... with a gun... inside the house, and i did...) I voted remove it, i do not like to kill bugs for some reason, and even go out of my way to save the creepy crawlers all the time.

Thanks

I voted to leave it alone.. Here is some pictures of a spider we get every fall... We had about 7 of them, I left them alone!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/100_0150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/100_0152.jpg
    Stephanie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptile3 View Post
    I voted to leave it alone.. Here is some pictures of a spider we get every fall... We had about 7 of them, I left them alone!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/100_0150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/100_0152.jpg
    Looks like an Argiope sp. they're harmless to humans, and actually really beautiful! I always wished that we had some in AZ

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast