Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,396

3 members and 3,393 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

2 Qs about crested gecko females

Hi everybody!

I have a few questions about female cresties I'd like to get some feedback on.

Backstory: (skip if you aren't interested)
    I'm going to be getting a crestie in a month or two, and up until this point I've been adamant about getting a male. All my pets have been male, so its just a personal preference. However, I picked up my Exo Terra terrarium (18X18X24) last night and I got to thinking; this thing is really big. I did the measurements before ordering it, but until I saw one in person I didn't really appreciate the reality of the dimensions. So... a tank that size could house two females, instead of one lonely male. There are two distinct morphs I really like, and this way I could get one of each. I have no intentions of breeding, but I like the thought of the variety...

Questions:
    1) How many (and often) do virgin females lay eggs?
    1.1) Do they require any specialized setup or care for this aspect of their biology, or will you just find the eggs anywhere?
    1.2) Due to their egg laying, do they require nutritional supplements in addition to what is found in Crested Gecko Diet?
    1.3) Do they continue to lay eggs on this schedule throughout their lives?

2) Can you introduce a second female into the terrarium of an established female? For example, if I were to get a female from one breeder today, and I find a second a month or so later that I really like, can I introduce that second female to the first ones setup?

* My gut says this would be a bad idea (stressful for the first crestie, possibility volatile, something to be avoided) but... I'm a n00b to cresties so I thought I'd ask anyway. I want to stress that I'd never do this without getting confirmation one way or the other first, and at this point, my question really is just hypothetical.

3) Can humans eat the infertile eggs? I have no intention of ever doing this, but the curious little monkey in me just has to ask. *Imagines a tiny little breakfast with tiny little bacon and tiny little eggs and tiny little toast...*

Thanks everyone!

PS: I realize that I have 3 questions, not 2. I just added question 3 off the top of my head after finishing this thread and forgot to update the title. D'oh!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: 2 Qs about crested gecko females

1) often times a female will lay a clutch (2 eggs) when she reaches sexual maturity. she may lay more than one clutch (clutches will be at least 3-4 weeks apart), but generally will not continue laying if not introduced to a male. i have had females lay a clutch or two of infertile eggs at the beginning of each season (in the spring when the temps start to warm up) but it is variable and you may not get any eggs from a female at all.

1.1) nothing special is needed since the eggs are not fertile. if you provide a humid hide they will likely lay in it, otherwise you will find the eggs in random places and you can just throw them away.

1.2) no, the cgd provides everything they need.

1.3) see #1

2. you will need to quarantine a new female before introducing her to a female you already have. if possible, you might try to get both at the same time from the same breeder in order to avoid having to quarantine. the two geckos need to be similar in size in order to be housed together. sometimes a larger gecko will dominate a smaller one, getting more food and causing the smaller one not to thrive and grow until separated.

3. i suppose you could eat an infertile crested egg if you really wanted too (i can't guarantee it wouldn't make you sick though!), but having cut them open and inspected the contents of them, i can say i highly doubt you'd want to try it.
    - Emily

Thanks

Re: 2 Qs about crested gecko females

Mlededee

Wow, that was very detailed. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I guess eating the eggs isn't a good idea then. hehe

I'll be sure to make use of your knowledge if/when I get 2 females instead of 1 male. Its good to know this resource is here for noobs like me to get straightforward and factual information.

Thanks again!!!