Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

0 members and 3,083 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb The gerbil debate

Hey guys, long time lurker here, finally starting to post!

Okay. So. Here's the issue as it stands:

I have 2 adult bps who are about the size to be eating medium rats. My problem is, live rats are illegal where I live, and the frozen feeders (mice and rats) around here are really scraggly looking, underfed and/or soaked in urine. Unfortunately I don't have a way of ordering them online (no credit card).

Basically, I wanted to breed a small amount of my own feeder rodents so I can be guaranteed of the quality and know they at least had a good life before entering my snake's belly. I would really rather not breed mice because of the smell, and because they're so small. Most people are reccommending rats, but as I mentioned before, they're illegal here so technically an impossibility to breed.

I've searched through the forums, but couldn't find much info on this. I was thinking I'd like to keep a couple breeding pairs of gerbils for my snakes. I know that gerbils are more vicious, and it's hard or impossible to switch back to rats or mice once the snakes get a taste for them, BUT... I would be feeding them off pre-killed, and seeing as the cost of buying new gerbils every week wouldn't be an issue... is there any pressing reason why i shouldn't feed my bps gerbils?

I really appreciate any input, thanks!

Thanks

Re: The gerbil debate

Hi there,

I'm lucky enough to have an Exotic Reptile store in my area that can supply live feeders. The owner is really great and gets in live rats for me, although a few other people have started asking for them too so he might expand. He breeds his own mice and always has them in stock. If anybody lives in the Toronto area, check out ExoticReptiles.ca

As for your issue with buying online (no credit card) - as long as you are over 16 you can get a pre-paid Master Card which can be used online for shopping. Much Music offers one, although I know there are others: click here to check it out. You can go into a store, load it with cash, and then use it online.

Personally, I'd not switch from rats/mice. Snakes live a looong time, and can potentially outlive their owners. I'd hate to think that if I got struck by lightning, Salzedo would not feed on rats/mice in his new home because I had hooked him on something else. (This goes for people wondering about feeding hamsters, too. hehe) That's just my personal take on it.

Out of curiosity, whereabouts do you live that keeping live rodents is illegal?

Thanks

Gerbils are not good as they will not get to a size that is good for an adult BP. They are bigger than mice, but considerabally smaller than a rat, and feeding a snake 4 times a week or 4 at one time to be equivilent to a good size rat is going to be more expensive than ordering rats.

Additionally if you wish to order online as long as you have a bank account you can use your debit card, some places won't take it directly but will take paypal which can be linked to a debit card, or ask someone with a card to order for you and pay them the cash, if your trying to hide the fact you have a snake from your family they will probably work it out when either they see large families of gerbils which slowly dissappear or styrofoam packages with frozen mice get delivered.

Thanks

Have you thought about african soft furred rats? Very few people are going to realize that they are "rats" at sight due to their size. They look much more like mice and do not smell NEARLY as much. I think they smell better than both rats and mice.
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies and tips on paypal/prepaid cards, guys.

To answer your question, NightLad, I live in Alberta... there's been a ban on rats for something like 50 years now! (Which I believe also applies to ASFs, unfortunately).

Thanks

Ah thats right. No rats for calgary...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHil View Post
    To answer your question, NightLad, I live in Alberta... there's been a ban on rats for something like 50 years now! (Which I believe also applies to ASFs, unfortunately).
    Sigh. Another law flagrantly passed without any consideration as to how it would effect the snake population. When will people learn?

(Seriously though, I'm surprised to hear about that. Is it just rats, or mice too? What do other snake owners use to feed in Alberta?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHil View Post
    Hey guys, long time lurker here, finally starting to post!

Okay. So. Here's the issue as it stands:

I have 2 adult bps who are about the size to be eating medium rats. My problem is, live rats are illegal where I live, and the frozen feeders (mice and rats) around here are really scraggly looking, underfed and/or soaked in urine. Unfortunately I don't have a way of ordering them online (no credit card).
    Why would you get them, If you cant Feed them? Just asking..

Thanks

I don't mean to sound like some punk n'er do well, but if you're breeding the rats in your house, how exactly is anybody gonna find out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael314 View Post
    Gerbils are not good as they will not get to a size that is good for an adult BP. They are bigger than mice, but considerabally smaller than a rat, and feeding a snake 4 times a week or 4 at one time to be equivilent to a good size rat is going to be more expensive than ordering rats.

Additionally if you wish to order online as long as you have a bank account you can use your debit card, some places won't take it directly but will take paypal which can be linked to a debit card, or ask someone with a card to order for you and pay them the cash, if your trying to hide the fact you have a snake from your family they will probably work it out when either they see large families of gerbils which slowly dissappear or styrofoam packages with frozen mice get delivered.
    Just my two cents on this, i think you should find some way to get frozen rats they are way better!!
    Last edited by Sparky1; 12-28-2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: goof up!!
    1.1 pastel balls, 0.1 spider ball, 1.0 green tree python, 2.0 high yellow jungle carpets, 0.1 jaguar jungle carpet, 1.1 hypo-red group boa, 0.1 suriname boa, 1.0 ghost boa, 1.0 hypo boa, 1.0 anery boa, 1.0 red albino, 0.1 het red albino, 0.1 jungle het albino, 0.1 sunglow, 0.2 het albino, 1.1 proven DH snow, 0.1 het anery, 1.0 dh sunglow, 1.1 normal rtb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast