Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

1 members and 3,416 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Exclamation BAD RI- Need help!

Ok so I made a thread on here, saying how I thought my big girl had RI, and after that I took her to a 'reptile vet' and get her checked out, and she was 'fine', just some shed stuck on her nose...

Well, Ive beed reffered to another vet because she DOES have RI, BAD! Shes in shed again (of course), and Im afraid to raise her humidity or soak her because it has gotten very bad.

-Also Ive raised the temps, and I can say that she did NOT get it while in my care, her previous owner had the temps way too cool-

Now, she has to open her mouth to breath out of it when Im holding her! When shes in her tank she doesnt really do iy, sometimes she does- but the point is is ithat it has gotten really bad, and Im scared because theres nothing I can do about it now.

For one, uts Christmas- no vets open. And even worse is Im completely broke untill friday- the vets closed saturday and sunday, and I THINK its open New Years Eve- it just has to be- but I dont know.. But even if it is, I DO NOT want to wait untill a week from now! Normally, I would have the money to do it NOW, but holidays and bills- its gone, like I said, untill further notice.

Another problem, that can be changed but is still a problem..

My other two snakes are in the same room, and Im all by my self here usualy and am unable to move their thanks by myself. I DO NOT want my other babies to catch it- I dont know what I would do if I lost any of them to it, especialy Rin...

Advice on anything? Please?
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Re: BAD RI- Need help!

Well, for now I havent gotten anything.. But Im tierd and going to sleep, but can somone please just give me some advice on what to do until monday. Im still aiming to get her in this wed. or thurs., but if Im unable to then (aside from feeling like a piece of **** for not taking her to a good vet- though I didnt know)- what should I do temperarily? And am I able to soak her to help with her shed, or no?...

Well good night everyone, and I hope to have some replies when I wake up...
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Just keep her nice and warm and humidified.. and as far from the other snakes as possible. If you can set up a temporary tub enclosure for her that you could put in another room, do it.

Does she make a lot of gurgly noises when she breathes? An advanced RI would be accompanied with lots of mucous in the mouth and glottis.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

There's not a lot you can do until you can get her to a vet for proper care and medication. I wouldn't soak her because that will just create additional stress, but you could bump the temps and humidity. Other than that, don't handle her at all until you can get her to a vet.

You can try to call the vet number now to see if they have an emergency contact, and if you do talk to the vet see if you can defer payment. Many vets will work out payment plans.

Good luck!

-Lawrence

Thanks

Alright- I'm still going to bed, but thank you both very much for your replies.

No, there is no gurgling sound or mucus, which is good.. But just the fact that the poor girls having to open her mouth to breath- not good, and I feellike a bad parent for not being able to really do anything..

But I will call the vet asap this morning to see if theres a number- but the last tiime I did that for a differnt vet they didnt treat reptiles... But I will call the vet first thing wed. morning and see if he will do a payment plan.. I wish my checks came in on wed. instead of fri.... But thatnk you both very much for the help, and before I go to bed Im going to put her into another room.. I didnt think about a tub before- ill just set it up how I have her tank and there we go- not as much as a hazard to the other snakes...
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

You shouldn't even need a payment plan, just call and tell them that you need to be billed for the service because you won't have the money on you at the time. I don't know of any place that won't just bill you, if they don't they're stupid. By the time you get the bill, you should have the money to pay.

Thanks

Just an update- though I know, its late. I ended up talking my boss into releasing my check early, and I took her in. The new vet said that she did have RI, but it wasnt as bad as I was thinking- the shed was just making it seem alot worse. So her gave her an injection, then told me tocaome back in a couple days for another one.

Shes shed now, and she seems great! She took a nice big rat (well smal, but to her a big mouse ), yesterday and shes doing wonderful! I'm so happy.. But that was scary- especialy watching him give her the shots.. She was NOT thrilled!!

But thank you all for your advice- I was in a panic at the time. lol.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles37 View Post
    You shouldn't even need a payment plan, just call and tell them that you need to be billed for the service because you won't have the money on you at the time. I don't know of any place that won't just bill you, if they don't they're stupid. By the time you get the bill, you should have the money to pay.
    Are you serious? How about you walk into a restaurant and order a nice meal and then at the end of dinner you say "Oh yeah, you're going to have to send me a bill because I can't afford to pay for it".

The vast majority of vets don't do billing anymore, because they get ripped off so badly. When we do work out payment plans for people, we never ever do it for new clients. I can't tell you how many $1,000 bills clients have walked on. We just don't offer that service anymore, unless it's an established client that we trust.

And to the OP, ask your vet if they take CareCredit and try applying for that. It's like a credit card that you can use for medical and dental offices only.
    www.carecredit.com
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend