Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,194

3 members and 1,191 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: zoomed rheostat question

Wait, before you peel it off. Do you have a space between the bottom of the tank where the UTH is, and the table its sitting on?

If not you need at least an 1\8 th of an inch for breathing room. Otherwise the heat can get trapped under the tank, causing overheating and possibly a fire.

If you don't have some space, stick a few blocks of wood under the corners to lift the tank up.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

I have found, through using quite a few of those rheostats, that each one seems to work at a slightly different level. One of mine will keep the temp right around 94, and another will leap to 102...both on the absolute lowest setting.

If money is really tight, as it is for me right now, and you can't afford the $75 for a Ranco or Johnson yet, then I would seriously consider picking up a ReptiTemp 500R for the meantime. They aren't reliable at all as a permanent thermostat, but they work a lot better than those rheostats until you can get the 'real thing'. I just ordered a second reptitemp for the corn snake tanks since the one I had on them is being used for my rescue BP tank.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I used to have a zoomed rheostat that at its lowest setting would reach 100 degrees. This was very annoying so i bought a thermostat. I would suggest not using a rheostat..they are unpredictable and potentially dangerous as they can get way too hot quickly and burn your snake.
    ~Rachel C.
    1.0 Snow corn (Meph), 1.0 Okeetee corn (Mosaic), 0.1 Normal BP (Meerah), 0.1 Mojave BP (Deuce) 1.1 cats (Dixie and Kitten), 0.1 Draft Horse (Nela)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Wait, before you peel it off. Do you have a space between the bottom of the tank where the UTH is, and the table its sitting on?

If not you need at least an 1\8 th of an inch for breathing room. Otherwise the heat can get trapped under the tank, causing overheating and possibly a fire.

If you don't have some space, stick a few blocks of wood under the corners to lift the tank up.
    yeah i put the spacers on each of the corners that came with the UTH so there is a gap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12