Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,184

1 members and 2,183 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

My Snake Has a Lump...

Hi All, Jelly (my male blood) has not gone "#2" in the approximate 4 months which I have had him. That's not concerning me too much...but the past month or so he's developed a lump approaching the last 1/4 of his body. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? I've scheduled him in for a vet visit this Wednesday evening. Since he hasn't "gone" for me I don't think we can get a fecal done but hopefully some sort of xray can be taken and/or perhaps the vet can persuade him "to go" during the visit. Any comments/suggestions would be highly appreciated, thanks!

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...toshoot013.jpg

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...toshoot006.jpg

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...toshoot010.jpg
    Last edited by Dvas_Romeo; 12-17-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks

Re: My Snake Has a Lump...

I recently read on this forum that Bloods can go quite long without defecating (7 months isn't unusual), however your snake does look like he has a fecal compaction. I'm sure your vet will tell you for sure.

In the mean time you could try giving it a lukewarm bath but you might want to check with your vet first. I'm not sure if it would do any good if it does have a compaction, but I don't think it will hurt and baths are used quite often for constipated snakes.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Hey xdeus, thanks for the quick reply! I've soaked Jelly in lukewarm water (each time approximately an hour) a few days each week for about the past month in hopes to encourage him to "go". So far no luck. I've even heard of giving the snake a few drops of cod fish liver oil to help lube up his insides...though I have yet to try it. Anyone else heard of this method?

I'm not too concerned about him holding his "feeds" in at this moment...more so about the lump. He's had it the past few weeks so I'm hoping another few days before going to see the vet is OK.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    I recently read on this forum that Bloods can go quite long without defecating (7 months isn't unusual), however your snake does look like he has a fecal compaction. I'm sure your vet will tell you for sure.

In the mean time you could try giving it a lukewarm bath but you might want to check with your vet first. I'm not sure if it would do any good if it does have a compaction, but I don't think it will hurt and baths are used quite often for constipated snakes.

I agree. Try letting Jelly swim for a little bit. It doesnt look normal.
    http://www.vpi.com/mailbag/2006/10/i...on_constipated

Hope everything works out. I do recommend taking Jelly to the vet anyhow because it could be something else. Hope not. Good luck with Jelly
    -Linh
    0.1 Sumatran Stp
    1.0 Pastel BP

Thanks

That sure is a beautiful blood!!

My blood has also not gone #2 for about 4 months. No lump like your seeing in yours though. Not visible anyways. I can feel what feels like a urate in there though.

Let us know please what the vet says?

Thanks

I would definitely take that snake to a vet.

Beautiful coloring by the way.

Thanks

That is highly unusual, i think you need to get him to the vet ASAP, esp when BC has said that he has never seen that and recommends the same thing. Why have you waited so long to take him?

Thanks

i started noticing it a few weeks ago...but it grew little by little. coupled with the fact that jelly hasn't gone to the washroom for the 4 months i've had him, i assumed this was just part of a "backup"...but now i'm wondering otherwise and hence have been seeking your opinions. the vet appointment has been made (unfortunately he's not in until this wednesay evening) and i'll definately keep those who want to know posted. thanks for your comments/suggestions! i'm going to try keeping jelly as warm as possible this wednesday night on the way to/from the vet...it's already a snowy and cold winter here in toronto!

Thanks

Just start the car up and let it warm up with the heat running so its nice and toasty for him!!

Please do post the results!! It seems anyone lately who has taken they're snake to the vet with poop problems ends up leaving the place with success. A poop free blood, and a vet office whose paint is peeling off the walls.

Good luck to you! Hope all is well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    Just start the car up and let it warm up with the heat running so its nice and toasty for him!!

Please do post the results!! It seems anyone lately who has taken they're snake to the vet with poop problems ends up leaving the place with success. A poop free blood, and a vet office whose paint is peeling off the walls.

Good luck to you! Hope all is well.
    Haha...and so I've read! Thanks for the tip and I'm looking forward to see what the vet has to say and/or do. Hopefully I'll have the luck that others have experienced!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast