Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

5 members and 3,399 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: western diamondback bite wound

Wow! I must say I have been playing with the idea of getting hots. That will surely make you rethink. I am a science teacher and my class was amazed by the photos.
    I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts.
    -Mark Twain-

www.wildlifebiology.net

Thanks

Wow. Thats going to leave a mark.

Thanks

The amazing thing to me is 1) the absolute power and evestation that one little bite did. Keep in mind there was only one tooth contact with very little venom introduced into his body. 2) how absolutely amazing the body is at treating stuff like that.

When wounds of that magnitude enter the body, there are certain things it does to combat them. For instance, the histamine and other natural "bad guy fighters" that the body would normally send for an allergic reaction like this (because that's what it really is), would actually do more to amplify the venom potency. The venom is a poison, sure, but it also is a collection of enzymes that aim to paralyze and break down tissue. Not as much for a hunting reason, but one heck of an awesome defense.

When he was first bitten, the hand reacted in the swelling, actually, swelling and redness are signs the body is fighting off the invasion. But the natural defenses actually aide in spreading the harmful toxins which cause more damage. I didn't see him mention the meds they had him on, I'm sure some pretty heavy steroids were used along with some outrageous anti-histamines and other blockers.

That is so clever the way they cause damage to reduce damage (the opening of the hand and arm). By opening both up, as someone stated earlier, they can at least control the degree of tissue damage. Clearly, they didn't even open him up wide enough as there was still tearing. The hard part will be trying to regain that movement in both his arm and thumb. That rehab must be done quickly and efficiently, as the body will only allow the "re-breakdown" of that tissue so many times.

Both his parts will never be the same, he says his elbow has regained a decent anoubt of movement, but that's because hardly any tendons in his elbow were even touched. The scarring is the only thing to overcome, and the skin is very stretchable. The thumb on the other hand, will never ragain most of its mobility. Those tendons are all very specific and are required for fine motor movement.

Oh well, I guess one thumb is a small price to pay for your life. You live and learn, huh?
    If you click this banner, I will win an autographed Weezer guitar...please!

Thanks

Can you imagine... over 9 months of dealing with that!?!??
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Banned
    Thanks

the "Wound Vac" he used is made by KCI---San Antonio Texas-----it retails for $26,000----but is only rented out----it cost 100 to 300 a day in rent depending on your insurance-----each dressing costs 15-80 depending on size and type------his bill will exceed 80k plus--depending on rehab--hope he had insurance.

Thanks

Maybe I shouldnt have read this I guess all my hots are going to the next sale... thats just crazy

Thanks

wow, thats insane.. not just what he had to go through but think about how far our modern medicine has brought us! That is amazing! Amazing he lived, amazing thats all thats left of his wound (alot of scarring but nothing compared to what it was in those first few shots) i will NEVER EVER EVER EVER have a HOT ever and this series of photos totally confirms it.

Thanks

That's simply amazing, one little bite caused all of that.

Thanks

seems to get worse before it gets better.

Thanks

I cant seem to find any info on procedure if my saw scale gets me (Except theres not enough time to call for help)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast