Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,262

5 members and 3,257 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Any superstripe experts out there?

Does this little girl look like the co-dom/het other ingredient that makes the superstripe when combined with a yellowbelly

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Any superstripe experts out there?

Not an expert - but I thought I heard Ralph say that there are belly markers too? I'm interested as well.

Going to move this to Morphs and Genetics for you!

Thanks

Larry, I don't own any het ss, but I've been fortunate to inspect a bunch in person. Lets see a belly shot. From the top, I'd say your headed in the right direction.

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jkobylka View Post
    Larry, I don't own any het ss, but I've been fortunate to inspect a bunch in person. Lets see a belly shot. From the top, I'd say your headed in the right direction.

Justin
    OOooh, I'm going to pick your brain when we come up there!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Larry, both Ralph and Jared told me that they thought this one that I have looks like it could produce superstripes. I don't have a female yellowbelly to try him out on, but he's breeding a couple of spare girls that I have now just to see if I can get more that look like him.

Sorry, I don't have a belly shot. He's been breeding a lot lately and I don't want to disturb him.

Mark

Thanks

Ralph showed me a het ss in person. To be honest, I didnt see one thing that would let me pick it out of a group, lol. They are so subtle. But good luck!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkobylka View Post

Justin
    Thanks everyone! Justin I'll get you belly pic soon. I really think she's got the goods but we'll see.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've seen 1 in person, so certainly not an expert. But a couple of points for what they are worth or not:

1. Its believed that the super stripe was stumbled on be several different people in attempts to produce ivory from imports. So it seems reasonable that the specter (the other ingredient) is similar to the yellow belly.

2. The one I saw was rather yellow dorsally, like a yellow belly.

3. It had a mostly clear belly, maybe just not as well defined edges as the yellow belly.

4. I seem to remember fading in the few wide areas in the dorsal dark pattern but then I'm not much of a yellow belly expert either, is that one of their characteristics?

5. The guy that was showing it to me mentioned the side patterns lining up across the dorsal. That is, there was a tendency for the side patterns to look as if one band went from one side to the next underneath the dorsal pattern. I had never really picked up on this with yellow bellies before, anyone else notice that?

But still I think I would also not be able to pick them out and this one may or may not have been very typical. I do have an older import that I picked out because of her brightness that has some of these characteristics so if I can get her up to size maybe I'll get a chance to test it out but I hadn’t really nailed down what she might be if anything in relation to proven morphs.

Thanks

Can someone point me in the direction of a pic of a homozygous superstripe?...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

A super stripe is a combo snake, one copy yellow belly + one copy specter.

We know the homozygous yellow belly is an ivory, which seems to have a faint yellow or off white dorsal stripe.

I don't think anyone knows what the homozygous specter looks like yet (the previous posts are just trying to find out what the newly unveiled heterozygous version of the specter looks like).

We also don't know what sort of relationship, if any, might exist between the yellow belly and specter mutations. Given the similarities in appearance, and that to me the ivory and super stripe both seem to share striping; I would not be surprised if they are alleles - different mutations of the same gene. That would be similar to the relationship which appears to exist between lesser, mojave, phantom, and other members of that apparent allele group. If yellow belly and specter are allele then super stripe X super stripe would produce eggs with the following odds:

25% chance ivory
    50% chance super stripe
    25% chance homozygous specter

It's also quite possible that specter and yellow belly are unrelated mutations of different genes and just happen to make a cool combo, like cinnamon and pastel in the pewter. If this is the case (and they aren’t close together on the same chromosome), then super stripe X super stripe would produce eggs with the following odds:

1:16 double homozygous (Ivory and the yet unknown homozygous specter)
    1:8 Ivory specter
    1:16 Ivory
    1:8 homozygous specter yellow belly
    1:4 super stripe
    1:8 yellow belly
    1:16 homozygous specter
    1:8 specter
    1:16 normal

It will be fun to see how this unfolds.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast