Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,990

1 members and 2,989 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Pitbull rescue from side of road

Awwww Ben! She's a beauty! Looks to me like she thinks your apartment is paradise! I think she'd be very happy with you and someday y'all will move into a bigger place together!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Thats great news Ben! She does have a very sweet face that just gives the "hug me" vibe.

Thanks

Ben she looks great! I'm a sucker for brindle also! she's looks nice and comfortable in your bed already!
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Thnx everyone for the compliments!

Susan, the vet believes she may be only a year and a half old and has already had her first litter a few months ago. And yea, for a pit, I'd say she's still quite small in person.

Judy, that's not my apartment... yet. Come January 1, I will be moving in and out of the dorms. Finally get to have all my animals back!

Thanks

Ben as long as you can make time for a good long run in the morning (maybe on a bike or rollerblades even) she should poop out for the rest of the day. You might want to grab a large dog crate for her to make sure she doesn't destroy anything in your place while you're gone. Test her by leaving for short periods to see how she acts before you have to leave her alone all day.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Ben as long as you can make time for a good long run in the morning (maybe on a bike or rollerblades even) she should poop out for the rest of the day. You might want to grab a large dog crate for her to make sure she doesn't destroy anything in your place while you're gone. Test her by leaving for short periods to see how she acts before you have to leave her alone all day.
    Yup. I go for a three mile run around campus every morning, and I plan on taking her with me starting in the next few days if she seems up to it. Of course I'm gonna be careful to not over strain her as I doubt shes ever been "ran" before so 3 miles might over do it. But yea, she'll get her exercise.

We left her this morning for about 50 minutes as we went to class (although there were people home to make sure nothing too bad happened), and when we came back we found she had found her way up to the bathroom counter and spilled a fresh 8 lb bag of food all over the place. However, spill aside, by walking barefoot in the bathroom you could tell she'd been sitting by the door most of the time, as there was a big ole' warm spot were we found her. I've sorta gone a little overboard at PETCO making sure she has everything necessary for her stay with us (for however long), but have decided that a good crate may be a good investment, as I'm not brave/dumb enough to give her free reign of the apartment alone.

Thanks

Ben, check our local newspaper, craigslist and so forth. You may well find some excellent deals on good, used crates. Heck if all else fails call the pitbull rescue folks and ask them if they know of anyone with a used crate to do you until you can get one of your own. I swear by crating for young dogs or dogs you don't know how they will do if left unattended. Some dogs even like their crates to be just left open and they will willingly crate themselves when they want the privacy of their "den".
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thats a brilliant idea... I mean, I've held off the crate a bit as another $100 on top of the $300+ already spent at vet and getting food and such, seems a little excess when the bathroom works quite well (after removing chemicals and bags of dog food lol). But yea, a cheap used crate sounds like a good idea, as I'm sure I can probably find one for a good price.

Thanks

That's the way I'd go. I've seen dogs panic in a closed bathroom and pretty much go through the door. I also had a dog that I put in the bathroom just for a bit while I did something, manage to jump and flip on the tap. Might not have been a problem if the sink wasn't plugged at the time and the landlord hadn't been by to fix the darn thing and....well....it was a lot of fun for a very wet dog let me tell you!

Crates rock!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

There are often crates on Craigslist...I see them there every few days. Crating is awesome, a real lifesaver in apartments where your security deposit is at stake.

She looks gorgeous. I'm betting she's not pure pit, either. Her head shape is all wrong. She seems quite happy to settle in with you. :-)
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast