Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

0 members and 3,306 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Pitbull rescue from side of road

alright, so I was coming home tonight from an event I had earlier today in Houston, and all of a sudden a dog pops up in my headlights as I'm driving down a major highway and I nearly missed what I thought was a baby deer. After coming to a stop, I open the door and this beautiful brendle female pit slowly walks up to my door with no tags and tail waving like no other. I couldn't leave her there so I tap my hands on my lap and she instantly puts her front paws up on my door sill and I look her over a bit. She seemed really sweet and really confused, and handled often. So I pat my lap again and she slowly crawls in the car and sits in my female friends lap for the rest of the drive back to college station. We look her over a bit and it seems as though she's gotten in a bit of a fight as she's bleeding a bit from her muzzle but not too bad. We stopped by walmart and got a collar, food, leash and some shampoo to clean her off. Her heart rate and breathing seem normal, probably about a year old and had a litter not too long ago as her teets are distended still, but no milk in them, has a healthy weight and the wounds arnt bad enough to require immediate veterinary care so I will keep her till monday when I take her to the vet to get checked out, and see if she has a micro-chip, and will keep her as long as I'm capable or she finds her home. I am trying so hard not to get too attached, but she's just a doll. the entire drive back she just laid there and went to sleep without a fuss. For the time being I've nick-named her baby and she's gettin a helluva lot of personnal attention. I am hoping I can find the owners, but if not she's going to a rescue as I sadly cannot keep her in my current living conditions. She's currently in the bathroom with her paws up on the sink looking at herself in the mirror. I dont have a working camera at this time but will most definitly get some pictures up ASAP. Sorry if this isn't too coherent as I'm sorta busy with the gal...

i dont want her to go... this is gonna be a heartbreaker i can tell that much already.

Registered User Elvyra's Keeper's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Pitbull rescue from side of road

That's sad that she was like that. I think she had a good owner if she was that friendly and calm around people. You should find a way to post something in Houston (or where ever you found her) I'm sure her family misses her.

As for you, I know it will be hard to let her go, and from the way you make it sound, it makes me sad you can't keep her But giving her back will probably make some family very happy. When I lost my dog, I was hysterical. I am so happy the people called me.

I have a chihuahua, and somehow he got on the other side of town and followed some first grader home(he loves kids) But I couldn't have been happier when they called. I was crying before, but when they called I cried even harder because I was happy.
    Amanda

Thanks

oh yea, I'm getting the word out trying to find her owners as she seems very well taken care of and her claws were even clipped rather recently. And shes staying out of a shelter b/c I dont her put down since she's a pure bred pit with dog fight cuts. Now she's just sittin in my lap with her face off in her food bowl. She's not even food protective, which is a very good sign that she has a loving home somewhere and that she just managed to get out somehow.

Thanks

lucky girl! most people would've just left her there! that'll suck to give her up but at least u helped!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

well, i made her a bed out of old blankets last night for her to sleep on, and she found them herself and laid there while I was up and about, but once I laid down for bed she started wimpering and although she never got up, you could tell she didnt want to be alone, and since I'm a major sucker, I put down some old blankets on my bed (in case the bleeding started back up again) and she came and slept with me. From the way she acted I dont think this was the first time she's slept with someone as she curled up next to me and went to sleep, and waited for me to get up this morning before she hopped down to take a few bites from her food bowl before I took her downstairs to go potty. The more I'm with her, the more I know that I have to find her family as I know they must miss this girl, and that they probably shouldnt be too hard to find if they're looking for her as well.

Thanks

so many pits out there, looking for good homes, after being let go...........i hope this is not the case in this situation, good thing you did there Ben

your than man!

get us some pix
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Ben, you rock for taking this girl on, she sounds like an absolute love. :-)

1. Call animal control for the area she was found and report that you found her. You don't need to turn her in, just leave a description.

2. List her here: www.fidofinder.com

3. Post her up on Craigslist, Livejournal, Myspace, etc.

4. Get in touch with local rescue groups and just let them know that she's been found so they can be alert for calls.

5. Do the same thing with area vets and pet stores.

6. Check with the local newspaper...many of them run Lost/Found pet ads for free.

Don't put her picture up in any of the ads. Anybody wanting a fighting pit could claim her. Just put up a description ("Brindle pitbull found on X road, nearest landmark, etc") and let them take the initiative. If anybody calls to claim her, make them describe the dog's markings, sex, etc. Don't give them any hints. People suck, and a lot of pit people are the worst. I've had people try to claim dogs they couldn't describe before, and threaten violence when I declined to turn the dog over to them. I'm sorry, but if it's a beloved pet then the owner should be able to describe it in more detail than "Uh, it's kinda brownish".

If she is that loved, they will be looking for her. If they're not looking for her, they don't deserve to get her back.

Oh, and be very careful putting her around other dogs. A dog with bite wounds on its face is one that was engaged in the fight, and you can't be too careful with pits. You don't need the legal headache if she hurts somebody else's dog.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Thanks Jess, will do!

Thanks

Ben that was so sweet of you to stop and help her! I hope that she does have a loving family somewhere, and that you are able to find them if she does. Jess gave you some great advice on how to help find her family. If by chance you don't find them I would definitely keep her out of a shelter. She just seems to sweet and nice not to have someone to love her, and I just don't think that she would have a good chance in a shelter (if any chance at all). Good luck finding her family.
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

any news Ben? whats the scoop?
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast