Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,350

1 members and 2,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,146
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Strider21
    Thanks

is this a good or a bad thing

i have had my bp for about a week he ate and everything with no problem.i have some fear about taking him out of his tank but not to much when one is handed to me.its about time for his first handling but i want some opinions on his behavior when i put my hand in the tank to change water and stuff.whenever i change his water mist his tank or like today i put some moss in his hides he always comes to my hand to see whats up i dont know if hes mad and goin to strike or whats up but he will check me out for about 20 seconds then move away.i also notice that when i get home from work he gets up to see me and if i go up to his tank he comes to the front of the glass to see me.this is my first snake and i dont know too much about behavior what does everyone think about it?

Thanks

Re: is this a good or a bad thing

Need more info on your snake... Whats he housed in... whats his set up like? 2hides? temps/humid?... you shouldnt see your snake during the day so if you are something might be up. I dont know the age of your snake but sometimes babies will come out during the day for a little bit but not too long... When you go to take him out just make sure he knows your there and its not a surprise when you touch him... also the obvious... keep your hands away from the face as much as possible... be calm... they can sense if your nervous and shakey
    snakes

Thanks

hes a few months old hes about 22inches long he has 2 hides with moss in them and i use cocnut bark for substrate the temps are 83 and 92 humidity lower 50s.hes in a 10 gallon tank with jungle backround on 3 sides and he hides behind the water bowl and one of his hides.i work all day so today and tomorrow will be the first days i really get to watch what he does during the day.it seems to me he just wants to smell me when im in there but im not sure he seems to watch me at night too

Thanks

Both of my snakes come to see me on feeding days. They come over to me so I let them "sniff" my hand before I pick them up to take them to the feeding cages (I feed them away from the main cage area so they dont think I'm dropping a mouse in when I want to hold them). Reshmar, my male snake, even comes to see me whenever I come home. They both have good envirnments and are very healthy.

So I think it's fine that a snake should come to see you.

Thanks

ok i just talked to a friend with lots of red tail and burmese experience and he said that his snakes do that too they handle the snakes alot where i got him so i think that has something to do with it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beardieguy View Post
    work all day so today and tomorrow will be the first days i really get to watch what he does during the day.
    hide............. hide ............... and more hide. doesnt come out. pretty boring during the day
    ~Chris~
    Snakes have blood, feal fear, breathe air, eat food, drink water, reproduce, and they happen to live in a body which is difficult for the average person to understand. One fears what one doesn't understand. ignorance creates fear. The fear of snakes is not cultivated…we are not born with it…children love snakes, just as naturally as they love dogs and cats. don’t be afraid of a reptile’s tongue…the only animal that can hurt you with its tongue is the human being.

Thanks

ill be happy if he uses his hides he hasnt so far ill probably wont be happy when he starts doing all the time

Thanks

If hes not usuing his hides thats a good sign somethings not right... I use to think "oh my snake is friendly she likes me... shes always out and about" just to find out I wasnt meeting husbandry requirements and she ended up getting an RI... My humidy was low and like you I was using a glass tank... You say your humidity is below 50... well theres your problem... it needs to be above 50 at all times. I mean it can drop for a day or say but you really really want to keep it above 50%. Just off the info youve given Im guessing you need to get your humidity up. I bet hes also not using his hides bc they have moss in them... I tried that stuff and I could never get it to work... I would always dry out and never stay damp... In the long run I switched to plastic tubs and havent had a humidity problem since... That says alot bc I live in Syr, NY and the humidity in the winter is usually below 30%
    snakes

Thanks

the humidity is low 50s not below 50 and i just put the moss in the hides today to see what happens