Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,961

2 members and 2,959 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: Racks and heat

Thanks

Post Racks and heat

I'm looking to build my own rack pretty soon and was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas. Also, the room their in is 60 degrees- so any advice on how to keep everything at the right temp. I have my snakes in there now in aquiariums, and I can keep the temps up, but thats using a heat pad and lamp.. So some ideas, please and thanks?
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Re: Racks and heat

Keeping snakes in a room that is 60 degrees is just as safe as playing in traffic. If your power cuts out, your snakes are done. Moreover, its going to be near impossible to keep your ambient temps in the lower 80s, even is you set the heat to 95 degrees.

The first thing I'd buy, before you get your rack, is a space heater with a Ranco or JC thermostat and get the room warmer. That will make it 10x easier to keep your temps up. I keep my room at 82 degrees year round, makes life a lot easier.
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis View Post
    Keeping snakes in a room that is 60 degrees is just as safe as playing in traffic. If your power cuts out, your snakes are done. Moreover, its going to be near impossible to keep your ambient temps in the lower 80s, even is you set the heat to 95 degrees.

The first thing I'd buy, before you get your rack, is a space heater with a Ranco or JC thermostat and get the room warmer. That will make it 10x easier to keep your temps up. I keep my room at 82 degrees year round, makes life a lot easier.
    I second those sentiments.... I do the same as Brad. No worries doing it that way. Great advice Brad!
    Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis View Post

We have a generator that kicks in automaticly, so I dont worry about it. And not only that- its MY room too, the snakes and I share it. And I would LOVE to keep my room 82 all year- but my room is in the basement.. Hard to do- it is hot during the summer, but VERY cold during the winter!!
    Last edited by mischevious21; 11-28-2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Figured I should add some stuff
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mischevious21 View Post
    We have a generator that kicks in automaticly
    That will be good for the space heater then.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

We have a generator that kicks in automaticly
    Thats good. But what I'm saying is that in that cold of a room, your heating elements are going to have to be working very hard to heat the cages. With a rack system, flexwatt or heat cable should be looked at as supplementary heat. In other words, you heat the room a few degrees cooler than where you want your ambient temperature inside the enclosure to be, and then use the flexwatt in the rack to heat up to the hot spot.

Just speaking from experience, it helps A LOT to have the room warmer. I've kept snakes in cooler rooms in the past, and worrying constantly about temps and making adjustments isn't fun.
    -Brad

Thanks

I have one in the garage, and after I post this Ill go grab it.. It would be nice for allof us- Im just paraniod about fire..
    And on the the racks- any good idea to house adult balls? I want to build one that van house 4-6 adult balls (depending on the design).
    And thank you all for the advice on the heater- it will be plugged in by the next post I make! lol
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

Ok, its on and working very good- I put it in the middle of the room and I have a feeling it will be ALOT warmer soon.. Its a good heater, we use it for hunting. lol. Thanks for the advice- speaking for me AND the snakes! lol.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

I have one in the garage, and after I post this Ill go grab it.. It would be nice for allof us- Im just paraniod about fire..
    And on the the racks- any good idea to house adult balls? I want to build one that van house 4-6 adult balls (depending on the design).
    And thank you all for the advice on the heater- it will be plugged in by the next post I make! lol

What kind of space heater is it?
    -Brad

Thanks

Its one of the dish heaters, it works realy well. The basement is around 78 now. Thanks the only thing is not I have to get some less powerful lights. lol.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow