Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

1 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

LOTS of pics.. my RETFs came home!

So tonight I drove a good 30 minutes away to pick up some wax worms per my breeder for the bearded dragon who isnt eating very well, i get all the way up there and of course they dont have any! So I took a drive down the street to another shop that ive used before (where hallo came from) and asked them about wax worms after spending a few minutes walking around and much to my delight was a whole enclosure of red eye tree frogs!!!

So of course, everything happens for a reason. Without further ado here are RETF #1 & #2.. no idea what im going to name them yet but im tickled pink to have them!!

those were the pics i snapped and then i covered their enclosure with a blanket and turned off the lights.. now my question is, i snuck a quick peek while the lights were still off and both of their eyes are sooo big (The black part, i know their eyes are big lol) and one of them had its rear in the water and its color was very dark... the other one is resting on a leaf still relaxed in color... should i be concerned with the one animals color being so dark? is that a sign of stress? i would imagine they are a bit stressed being shipped, moved, exc i just want to make sure for my own peice of mind.

thanks to everyone who offered help through researching and debating. im so excited to have them home, they really are neat looking!

Thanks

Re: LOTS of pics.. my RETFs came home!

Mine changes color depending on location in the tank, and usually is darker right after waking and then lightens up to "normal" color after a bit.
    I must say, those are some awesome shots. HOTM worthy for sure. In fact, if I got shots like #3 & #4, I would have them in a frame
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

awe, thank you for the compliment. i love photography, while i have always had a facination with frogs in general i must say the retf were partially for the photography factor thank you thank you!!! i might just have them blown up and framed!

Thanks

Awesome pics! Beautiful colors!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

very nice pics and congrats on getting them! their eyes are really creepy looking when their pupils are round and there is little red visible. they do tend to change brightness/color but you shouldn't worry unless they stay really dark for an extended period of time, like more than 48 hours or so.
    - Emily

Thanks

thank you Emily.. and yes i have one picture of one of them and their eyes are creepy big lol.. i will do my best to not keep eyes on them and let them just settle in. I do think they are a bit older though (not babies) these are about 1½" long.. so how often should i feed them? I just kinda dumped 15 little crickets in there tonight cause i didnt want to bother them

Thanks

for good measure creepy eyes

slightly stressed.. ya think?

after a good butt soaking

Thanks

dude those are really sweet pictures! impressive!

i'm so jealous of all of you who have the funds, space, and permission to add to your collections!! i got a new pet only becaue my snake decided not to eat and my dad said it was fate...but congrats on the addition!
    Christina

0.1 Normal BP "Cleo"
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Munch" and "Ziggy"
    1.0 Red Eared Slider "Norwell"

Thanks

Christina.. in my house i am the permission lol... actually i have to run things by the wonderful fiance, I got accepted into a college i wanted to attend last Friday (going back to school after 4yrs off), and start classes Monday.. it was more or less a congrats to myself, go to school get a career under your belt and then funds wont be an issue.. my fiance and i bust our butts to pay for the things we do have.. instead of taking vacations we can afford to have the critters we do .

I had this tank ready and set up quite sometime ago already. I look forward to tax time when I can buy a nice big tank for my cresties. Im hoping by then they will be big enough to live in a nice big fancy enclosure.

Thank you for the compliment.. I do photography as a hobby (See website link in siggy) so not only were they an animal i have longed for but they are also an interesting subject to capture

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

wow he is really dark. nice and hydrated after the soak though i'm sure.

1.5 inches is a nice size and age. they only get about 2.5 inches long max. if you feed 2-3 times per week that should be plenty. maybe 4-5 crickets per frog (the crickets being as long as the width between the frog's eyes) depending on how many they seem to eat in 24 hours time.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast