Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

2 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Check out Meme's RACK!

I decided a while ago that I wanted to start beeding rats. I have a huge amount of respect for these lil guys and wanted them to have a prettyful home.

Here are a few pics I wanted to share.

This is me...Doin Work!

and Jeff...

and the final project.

My lil ratties are sooo HAPPY!

I know cause they told me.

Thanks

Re: Check out Meme's RACK!

nicely done. looks great and Im sure the ratties are happy too.
    Doris

Thanks

Supra nice Memes!!! Now hurry up and breed breed breed so you can be my rattie supplier!!

Perfect placement of your arm in that first pic btws!!

Thanks

NICE!!! Congrats on the rack yo!
    *I inhaled a little coffee when I opened the page and saw the 1st pix*
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Wow you do have a nice rack!

Also, love the shirt!

Thanks

It looks ok, but in all honesty, I would get MUCH bigger tubs. Moms with babies produce massive amounts of ammonia, and since the tubs are so small, there isn't alot of ventilation going on. You'll likely have to clean every other day, which wouldn't be feasible for anyone other than a crazy person

Also, rats that are too confined/too crowded will get bored/stressed and will chew. I have a couple of those tubs for storage and there are quite a few edges that ratties can get ahold of.

It's a good concept, but I really think they would benefit(not to mention produce better) from much bigger tubs that allow more ventilation and a place where they can get away from their feces/urine. If ammonia builds up, you're going to have rats with chronic respiratory problems. Sick rats don't produce(much less have time to eat because all they're thinking about is breathing), and if they do, the babies end up sickly.

Hope it helps some
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

That setup is begging for an automatic watering system!

Everyone loves a cute rack....
    -Brad

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnme View Post
    I know cause they told me.
    That kind of scares me a little. But, just a little, because mine talk to me all the time. I don't usually say that in public.

Anyway, that is a very nice rack, and the rat housing looks mice too.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydragon View Post
    nicely done. looks great and Im sure the ratties are happy too.
    They are!

they told me.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by daaangconcepts View Post
    Supra nice Memes!!! Now hurry up and breed breed breed so you can be my rattie supplier!!

Perfect placement of your arm in that first pic btws!!
    I am working on it OH!

and I really had no idea my arm was there...

Quote Originally Posted by Laooda View Post
    NICE!!! Congrats on the rack yo!
    *I inhaled a little coffee when I opened the page and saw the 1st pix*
    thanks YO!

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    Wow you do have a nice rack!

Also, love the shirt!
    Thanks Ninja!

I got that shirt in Daytona before I left.

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    It looks ok, but in all honesty, I would get MUCH bigger tubs. Moms with babies produce massive amounts of ammonia, and since the tubs are so small, there isn't alot of ventilation going on. You'll likely have to clean every other day, which wouldn't be feasible for anyone other than a crazy person

Also, rats that are too confined/too crowded will get bored/stressed and will chew. I have a couple of those tubs for storage and there are quite a few edges that ratties can get ahold of.

It's a good concept, but I really think they would benefit(not to mention produce better) from much bigger tubs that allow more ventilation and a place where they can get away from their feces/urine. If ammonia builds up, you're going to have rats with chronic respiratory problems. Sick rats don't produce(much less have time to eat because all they're thinking about is breathing), and if they do, the babies end up sickly.

Hope it helps some
    thanks for the advice Becky.

I have been using these tubs for a lil while now an I only find them chewing when they are hungry or want something to gnaw on. So far the ventilation has been fine...They all have holes around the tubs and screen top. If I notice any problem I will immediately make changes.

For now I am satisfied with my work.

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis View Post
    That setup is begging for an automatic watering system!

Everyone loves a cute rack....
    you know Brad...I am hoping to change the shed in my back yard into a rat house...I will probably start in Feb. I will need a watering system then! It is a pita to change water bottles everyday but it is working for now.

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    That kind of scares me a little. But, just a little, because mine talk to me all the time. I don't usually say that in public.

Anyway, that is a very nice rack, and the rat housing looks mice too.
    Thanks MBM!

Don't be afraid to let people know your rats talk to you..Hell my snakes talk to me too!

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post

Hope it helps some
    Agreed. Wonderful job building it. It looks very well constructed and effective.

I will have to agree with Becky in that ventilation is your best friend when breeding rodents. In fact their health and well being depends greatly on it. I hope I can offer in my limited experience with rat and mouse (I suck at breeding mice) breeding some suggestions that will allow you to keep your design and with very little editing your great work and time and money spent allow you to rock the rat world.
    Understand these are only suggestions of ideas I have to help ventilation

First: you could simply remove the plywood on the sides and have a fan blow on it to allow air flow across the tops of the tubs. Problem solved.

Second (in addation to the first or stand alone): cutting out the sides of the tubs and pop riveting hardware cloth in its place to allow air flow.

Third: you could remove the board the tubs sit on and suspend them like this http://www.ralphdavisreptiles.com/in...ves/oct-03.asp
    to increese the amount of air space between the tub and the one below it.

Just my two cents great work building it. But with some minor minor tweaks will have you over run with rats in no time
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast