Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,240

0 members and 3,240 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Discreet Tub Setup

Jim, my situation is similar though they have no issues with snakes.
    The apartment manager has a thing for red tail boas so just as long as I take some of my snakes down to see her occasionally it's all good even though they are ball pythons. I have three cats, only allowed two though they do know about all three and are okay with it as written on my lease. The feeders, the guinea pigs and the hamster are here on the DL though. I suppose it helps that my husband is super anal and the apartment looks like it's bearly lived in...except for the spots near the door where the lovely felines happened upon some wax that had encased some cheese... *sigh*
    All this is only until '09 when we can go back home after this experience with hell... my mistake, experience with the navy.

I like to be able to hide things if guests come over as some aren't the most comfortable with snakes being not too far away. I set up some pretty curtains I can pull around my rack/tub area.

Thanks

I have a closet dedicated to my snakes. All work off of UTHs. It works great. And it's not a walkin, it's one with the sliding doors and goes about 2 feet in.

Thanks

I live in the dorms where the rule for animals is that it has to be able to "stay underwater for 30 mins.". Basically, fish. Maybe some turtles, but the max tank size is 20 gallons per student, and most get too big for that. Anyways, I have my ball python, and Kasi has her 3 balls, her chamelion and her bearded dragon in the dorms. My girl in in a tank in the closet, which gets left open so she can get some natural light, but I'm able to close it if someone comes over that is scared of snakes, or I don't want them to know it's there (the dorms are 12x14 rooms...you really can't hid much in here). Kasi has a rack for the snakes, and tank for the beardie, and her cham is in her closet, which she does like I do. For the few instances that the RA does come down to our rooms, I just close my closet, and she has a Japenese style screen that goes around the cages.

As long as you aren't braging about it, or showing it off to everyone, there *shouldn't* be a problem. But it is a good idea to have somewhere you can take the animals if someone does find out and freaks. We both have places to keep our critters if we get caught, and it's good that you've already thought about that part.

People get away with it all the time, you just have to be a bit more discreet. ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

I'm with everyone else. If it doesn't pee and stink up the apartment, how will anyone know? I also like to ask if it's okay to keep a small animal. They dont need to know its my snake. Let them think its a hamster or guinea pig. I think the only reason they need to know is in case of liabitlity reasons. If a snake does escape, and the land lord knew it was there, they could get grilled. Even if they didnt know it was there, they may get in trouble.

Make sure everything is secure, and you shouldnt have a problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJB View Post
    Are you kidding me? Currently I am looking for an apartment and one of my first questions to landlrds are What's your definition of pets? They ask what I have. I reply snakes and lizards. They ask what kinds and i give me list but when I get to ball PYTHON they freak. lol its funny

But when I do find a place I think Im just gonna sneak my racks in like someone said!
    I'm looking for an apartment now too. I hope it isn't too difficult for me. It's so true though - you say snake, someone cringes, you say PYTHON , and all the sky starts falling. They ask what kinds like they even know what they're looking for

*sigh* Good luck on your search!
    0.1 '05 Het. Hypo - Lelu
    1.0 '06 Hypo - Chester ; 0.1 '11 hypo holdback
    0.1 '07 Woma - Cleopatra aka Cleo
    1.0 '11 Pinstripe het hypo
    0.1 '06 German Shepard Runt - Mika (me-kuh)
    "it's not like cool-aide. its like..you know that powder that you put in water that makes it flavored" -you know who you are

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    You could always do an under bed, under tank heater. That way there are no lights involved. It's better that way anyway. Just run the cord along the wall and then no one has any idea anything is even there. One side of the tub would face out, so the animal would be able to tell whether it's day or night, and then the other three sides are dark. It's perfect for ball pythons and their privacy.

Btw, did you know some apartments have rules like, "Small dogs and cats ok. NO SNAKES" ? When I was apartment hunting I saw that, and it was like, "are you kidding?" But I guess the only reason is maybe they had some larger animals escape in the past. I can see how it would be a scary situation for non-snake people. *shrug*
    Lol....just lol....

Anyway....I guess you could say we are bad tenants. We went out of our way for pet friendly apartments when we were looking, since we had our two small dogs. Our apartment complex is cool about the dogs, and a lot of the people here have dogs and cats since they are one of the few pet friendly places left. That said, we pay an extra 40 bucks a month for our dogs, and paid 200 in a pet deposit, which is non refundable. I did ask the leasing office about what pets mean you have to pay more pet rent each month and they said anything that has free roam of the house....so pretty much dogs and cats...or maybe a pig or something, if they would allow it. Anyway, we dont have any issues with our neighbors or the complex as of yet, but we have since acquired 2 adult cats and a kitten, and having breeding colonies of rats and asfs, a tarantula, crested, 2 corns, 2 baby boas and a sub-adult sized bp.

Our carpet is nasty, and I expect to get slammed with a hefty maintenance charge when we move out, which is why we want a house. Our carpet is a combination of all our pets. Our dogs were more of less housebroken when we moved in, but the stress of the move and being way more confined in an apartment complex led to a couple weeks of an adjustment period. Next, the cats we got for free because the guy "didnt have enough time for them" resulted more into "they dont use the litter box" in our eyes. Luckily, we have broken that habit 95% or so. One of the adults likes to use the plastic mat in front of the litter box....but w/e it is just as easy to clean so as long as it is not on the carpet. Next up is the kitten....she still doesnt understand the litter box concept. We have been trying and trying and we are getting frustrated. Sometimes, she will go on the carpet right by litter box, jump in the litter box and cover up some other cats poo. wtf. Next culprits....our dogs had puppies. As you can imagine....piddle everywhere. Luckily, most of the time they are in the bathroom or kitchen with linoleum, but they have been doing pretty well with their puppy pads on the carpet for being only 9 weeks old.

Lost my train on thought....probably reply again tomorrow.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Well when I found the place I live in I was told NO PETS at all. After a few weeks I asked if a "caged" pet would be ok and they said yes. so now I have my bp, and all my feeder rodents....I may or may not have other animals in here, but what the landlord doesn't know
    But then my landlord comes by...once every 6 months (when the lease is about to expire)

in the next couple months I'm movin out I don't like rules about what I can/can't do.

Thanks

Don't most places have it in the lease that they can come around and search to insure compliance with the lease you signed? I think that is rediculous, but then again, it's in Chicago...in not prestine area, so I prefer that to the other option.

They told me that any pet in an enclosure, cage, aquarium should be fine. We ask about snakes and they say that they do not allow "Exotics". Isn't that kind of a blanket statement, "exotics"? I don't think an animal that lives in your environment is an exotic, at least I really couldn't consider it to be.

Buuuuuuut if an animal is used as a form of, say, pet therapy...they are required to let you have it (them) by law. Or atleast thats how it was explained to me. You need a letter from a Dr. - which I very well may be getting. It's pretty much my last shot -_- By the way.. if you are cought violating the lease, they have the right to kick you out...and you still have to pay on the rest of your lease. So I would really be careful. (atleast thats how it is here.)

Hopefully all goes well for you all, as well as I. Will be definately putting up a camera in my room because i dont trust people to not touch my things. Then I have proof if THEY violate the lease..or mess with my animals. It's a win-win.
    0.1 '05 Het. Hypo - Lelu
    1.0 '06 Hypo - Chester ; 0.1 '11 hypo holdback
    0.1 '07 Woma - Cleopatra aka Cleo
    1.0 '11 Pinstripe het hypo
    0.1 '06 German Shepard Runt - Mika (me-kuh)
    "it's not like cool-aide. its like..you know that powder that you put in water that makes it flavored" -you know who you are

Thanks

^I don't feel so bad after reading, that, HAHA. And people give me a hard time

Thanks

i had an issue with a room i was renting years ago. I had some pet rats and i asked if they allowed cages pets like hampters or gerbils. They said yes and i moved in some rats . You mention rats when you have a ROOM and the other people start to worry. Then i asked about aquaria. The guy who owned it spoke little english and asked what aquaria was. I said, "You know, fish tanks?" He shrugged, said ok, and i moved my hognose in. Six fishtanks later i moved out .
    He found out about the rats but had no clue about the fishtanks because i put a shelf in the closet and just left the closet door open. My place after that allowed NO pets, but i had a shower that i never used (because there was a stall shower and a bathtub) i set all my cages in the stall shower and put up those beeded doors and make it look pretty (as pretty as a shower stall can look).
    After that i moved someplace that allowed pets, but the landlord was a hard ass. So i just set them all up on a black metal shelf and kept it covered all the time, with a nice shower curtain (the ones with designs on it) with some shower curtain rod clips attatched to the top shelf did teh job really well. It hid everything! I also used to put towels on one shelf and hid everything bellow it with the shower curtain, so it just looked like i was trying to hide my unmentionables
    Anyway, that's just what i did and it worked will for 6 hognoses, 2 ball pythons, and 2 bearded dragons on 2 sets of shelves. Look for my pictures on my setup in hognose section and enclosure section and you can see what i did, even though i took the shower curtain down for the pictures.
    Racks are a great way to hide things, but i always say, 'if you get caught trying to hide something you are guilty, if you get caught NOT trying to hide something you can be smartly neglectful.' Basically, if you ask about fish and move a vivarium and the landlord sees it you can say, 'oh, i didn't realize.' THEN try to hide it.
    First questions i ask when looking for a new place: Do you allow small pets like hampsters and gerbils? Do you allow aquariums?
    They don't need to know what's in it and if they are snooping around to see what's in it you have a problem beyond a few animals and now have to deal with a snoopy landlord.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12