Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

1 members and 3,324 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Soaking

Thanks

Soaking

So my red tail boa that i have had for about a month seems to have a new found love for his water bowl! I know that it is common for them to soak but i have not seen that great of a color change to suggest a shed. Since i know someone will ask, temps are good all measured digital herpstat control on everything and 55% or so constant humidity. Any suggestions, and he is still feeding.

Thanks

Re: Soaking

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    So my red tail boa that i have had for about a month seems to have a new found love for his water bowl! I know that it is common for them to soak but i have not seen that great of a color change to suggest a shed. Since i know someone will ask, temps are good all measured digital herpstat control on everything and 55% or so constant humidity. Any suggestions, and he is still feeding.

i love it when my snakes soak but they bearly do the usually do when they migh shed or they like water (but mine don =/)

Thanks

i dont think that i have ever seen my snake soak himself, hahaha. they are usually fighting me when im soaking them

Thanks

Could it be mites?

Thanks

You know that would have been my first thought as well since i have 5 balls as well. But i find it hard to be, before i brought him home i cleaned and sanatized his new enclosure i then treated it with PAM the day before i brought him home. I also treat all of my bedding before i place it in there enclosures, since i know that there is a great chance of there being mites in the bedding. So i was just curious if anyone had any thoughts. The snake did not come from a pet store either, i found a local breeder and all of my snakes have come from them with no problems.

Registered User anthrpicdecadnce's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonheki View Post
    i love it when my snakes soak but they bearly do the usually do when they migh shed or they like water (but mine don =/)
    its a good sign when they aren't constantly soaking. my snakes NEVER soak, not even prior to shed...

Thanks

Yeah i am stumped, so last night he decided he was done soaking i guess he is out and has not been back in his water bowl. I even put a small water dish in that i was sure he would not fit in and he still managed to curl up in it, actually looked kind of funny!

Thanks

I should tell you I have a red tail boa who's about a year old now, no mites, or anything...she has just always loved to sit in here water dish...I think some of them just like it that way.

Thanks

Yeah thats what i figured, i picked up some rodents from the breeder i get my snakes from and they said the same. The only snakes they keep at hpme for pets are RTB and they said some of them love there water and others dont go in it at all. No explanation yet, he has not done it for a couple of days and seems just fine.