Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,592

0 members and 1,592 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Acurite? They should change their name.

recently bought 4 of these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...3-1308-00887GT

and have fully tested each of them, only to find out that they are innacurate and off by 30%+, in some cases more.
    I am terribly disappointed in these. I have used the damp rag test, the salt test, even held the sensor underwater, only to have it report 38% humidity.

Anyone know what is going on with these?

Thanks

Re: Acurite? They should change their name.

How are you testing them? I believe that it is the main unit itself and not the probe that measures humidity. So placing the probe in water is not going to reflect on the humidity, And I would definitely suggest not to put the unit itself in water because I have had one that got really wet and then stopped working, and it hadn't been submerged, just sprayed when I went to mist my tank one time.
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by defdef View Post
    recently bought 4 of these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...3-1308-00887GT

and have fully tested each of them, only to find out that they are innacurate and off by 30%+, in some cases more.
    I am terribly disappointed in these. I have used the damp rag test, the salt test, even held the sensor underwater, only to have it report 38% humidity.

Anyone know what is going on with these?
    I'm inclined to believe that this is a joke, however if it's not... read the post above mine. it explains your situation pretty well...

Jim
    0.4 Normals (Sugar, Delihla, Luna, Sol)
    1.0 Pastel (Maple)
    1.0 "something special" (Morpheus)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
    How are you testing them? I believe that it is the main unit itself and not the probe that measures humidity. So placing the probe in water is not going to reflect on the humidity, And I would definitely suggest not to put the unit itself in water because I have had one that got really wet and then stopped working, and it hadn't been submerged, just sprayed when I went to mist my tank one time.
    I have tested them multiple ways, here's how:

I have two humidors. I put a humidifying device in the humidor, and 2 analog hygros. I also put in 3 of the digitals. I left those there overnight. The result was that the analogs read 70% (which is what it should read) and the digitals all read different readings. One was 42, one was 45 and the other was high 30s.

Test two: Place digital hygro in snake tank next to analog hygro. Analog read 53%, digital read 37%.

Test three: Took all 4 digital hygros, and placed them in a small tuperware dish. Then got a small cap of salt, and moistened it with water. Sealed it up very tight and let it sit overnight. After 8 hours, it should have read 75% (or close) on all of them. They were each at 40 something percent each.

Test four: place a wet rag around your hygro and leave it for an hour. It should read 96% or so after 1 hour. The reading after 1 hour was 55%.

All these tests EXCEPT 4 were done on the hygro itself and not the probe that is attached via cord.

I have already purchased 2 additional hygros for my humidor, because those poor smokes cant get destroyed!
    http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=82

But I dont know what to do about the current 4 I have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CntrlF8 View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that this is a joke, however if it's not... read the post above mine. it explains your situation pretty well...
    The "underwater" test was indeed done on the probe, as I couldnt find any information as to what part of the device measured humidity. But that is why I did the additional tests on the entire devices (in some cases, using 3 digis and 2 analogs).

It is not a joke, I'm bummed I spent 50 bucks on these.

Thanks

I have several of these, and they are all really pretty accurate. My snake tubs flunctuate between about 55% and 70% unless they spill their waterbowl, where it reads in the high 80's, and all my dart frog vivs always read 95%, unless I go a few days without misting, where they start to dwindle downward into the 80's then 70's. Ones outside of an enclosure all say my condo's humidity is about 30% right now. I don't know what to tell you.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Maybe take them back, and try the model they sell at Walmart. Those ones have always worked for me. :/

Thanks

Ya i dunno bout your tests but I can vouch for them being pretty darn accurate... If they were wrong then all 10 of my snakes would shed in pieces. Im with Jake on readings... all 10 of mine are between 55-70% all the time... The true test is to set up a tank... put em side by side... and see what the readings are... my moneys on the accurite

Just noticed your using a different model than the majority of us use... Connie said it best... check out wally world
    snakes

Thanks

If the readings are all very close to each other then are you sure you're not testing wrong? Because it doesnt make sense to have 4 that all read very similar wrong numbers.

Thanks

I agree that those are either defective or something happened to them. I tried three other models of digital hygro before I finally got accurites and they have been spot on the whole time I've used them. The only time I had one giving me bad readings was after I sprayed PAM all over the tank without covering the accurite unit.

Are you sure you didn't get moisture inside the units? That would certainly make them weird out.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'