Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

1 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: breeding stress

Thanks

breeding stress

I was searching posts and got onto a thread about the proper size to breed a male. There were many comments about smaller ones getting beat up by dominant females and checking for URI.

I don't have any hands-on experience with breeding so I don't really understand this. Can somebody explain where the stress and potentiel sickness come from?
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

Re: breeding stress

Quote Originally Posted by bearhart View Post
    I was searching posts and got onto a thread about the proper size to breed a male. There were many comments about smaller ones getting beat up by dominant females and checking for URI.

I don't have any hands-on experience with breeding so I don't really understand this. Can somebody explain where the stress and potentiel sickness come from?
    Alot of people drop temps during breeding. That usually makes the snakes go off feed. Colder snakes = Greater chance of getting an RI. As far as females beating up smaller males, I havent seen that here. I dont drop temps at all. And I have Great success breading small males every year. Without RI's and going off food...

Thanks

Re: breeding stress

Quote Originally Posted by JASBALLS View Post
    Alot of people drop temps during breeding. That usually makes the snakes go off feed. Colder snakes = Greater chance of getting an RI. As far as females beating up smaller males, I havent seen that here. I dont drop temps at all. And I have Great success breading small males every year. Without RI's and going off food...
    I'm with Jas...I don't drop temps either...My males usually don't go off feed until late Jan. to early Feb...I had great success last year breeding young males and I'm off and running this year with a couple of 07 males doing their thing...
    BT