Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

2 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

lets see setup ideas!

please post your set ups for your cresties.. for those of you who have multiple cresteds how to you house them. do you keep them in tanks/viv side by side, exc?

lets see pics please. in a month or so trick and traid will be ready to move into a bigger (and possibly seperate) enclosures, hallo is already in a 10gal.

Thanks

Re: lets see setup ideas!

I always loved this set-up: http://acreptiles.com/cages_RhacSystems_baby.htm

I thought it was a great space saver. It's a little pricey---though cheaper than many snake racks---but I bet you could do something similar very easily... even with bigger critter keepers.

Thanks

lol, hell for that ill keep them in the critter keepers i have on my entertainment shelf. i just thought they required more space then that.. and i was thinking more display? those are really nice can you really house the cresteds in there for their entire lives? i thought they required more verticle space than that

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

that particular rack is just for hatchlings and young juvies. i keep clutchmates together in kritter keepers that size until they are sexable or big enough that they need more space. a single juvie can be kept in one a little longer--for instance if you separate out a male he can stay by himself in the kritter keeper while you move the female into a larger enclosure with other females.

once you have experienced stacking kritter keepers 5-6 high in rows 3+ deep you will gladly pay for that rack, i guarantee it. not having to unstack, take the lid off, feed/clean, stack somewhere else while doing all the cages beneath the first cage and then restacking that column back in its spot when you are done with them all and then moving on to the next column is quite a time saver. although i do recommend it to first time breeders so they can truely appreciate the value of it all... a friend of mine calls it my version of new crested breeder hazing.
    - Emily

Thanks

yeah but i dont plan to have as many as you do remember i only have three right now and the number most likely wont change unless we get into breeding and that wouldnt be for sometime.. the breeder keeps his temps lower (74 or 72, dont remember) so im hoping we have all girls... time will tell with hallo since "he" came from a different source

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

cresteds actually aren't temperature sex dependent. mine incubate at 76-78 degrees (78 is about as high as you want it to get) and i get a good mix--last season i actually came out with more females than males. last year i bought 2 hatchlings from someone who incubated in the low 60s and the eggs hatched at day 120. both turned out to be males. i knew it didn't really mean anything when i got them but i figured i'd take the chance.
    - Emily

Thanks

very interesting..