Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

2 members and 3,402 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

More EGGS EEEK!!

Once again totally unexpected. I have a female crestie that was bought from petco as a pet back in march. I would say she was roughly 8 to 8 months old when I bought her. She was housed with several other cresties.

In July or it could have been August, I am thinking August. She laid two dud eggs. I was excited, but I knew they probably weren't fertile, after a few weeks they went bad, I wrote it off as a normal "coming of age" crestie thing. Which they do, do.

Well last night I was getting ready to feed everyone, she is housed with my other female Post It. I noticed Partial, the female in question was really skinny looking, so I weighed her and compared notes to about 2 weeks ago. She lost 7 grams. I am like WTH?? So I think she is having troubles with co housing and move her into her own home.

I am cleaning out the cage today pull out the nest/humid box and noticed it was really messy and the substrate was disturbed so I start digging around and find two very lovely looking eggs. I candled them and didn't really see anything to suggest they were infertile, and nothing to make me say they are fertile. So I am incubating them to make sure.

My question is this. I have NOT placed any of my females with my male yet, they still aren't quite ready weight wise. So I am 100% positive she has not been bred while in my care.

Is it normal for a female to lay two dud clutches of eggs within 2 to 3 months of each other? Is it possible she was bred so young and retained sperm this long?

I guess I will be giving her a nest box too! Seeing as how she needs it.

Thanks,
    Kristy
    Last edited by Kristy; 11-02-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: More EGGS EEEK!!

they can lay several clutches of infertile eggs before being with a male. some of my virgin females have laid 3-4 clutches before i put them with a male and some of my proven breeders have done the same thing at the start of a new breeding season before being bred.

when you candled the eggs did they look pink or yellow inside? could you see a pink ring like a cheerio inside them?
    - Emily

Thanks

I looked for the pink ring, it looked like there was one but I am not 100% sure. They definitely have a pink color to them though. The last two were really yellow after about 3 days and really dented, these aren't dented at all and have a completely different feel to them. They are firm and have a leathery feel.
    Kristina Rogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

wow, how interesting!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

well, definitely incubate them and keep an eye on them. if they are fertile and you candle them again a few weeks you should start to see a dark area like a shadow in the egg where the gecko is forming.

she could have retained sperm but it is odd that she would wait until it is getting cooler to lay. usually if they aren't laying but retaining sperm they will lay after it starts warming up (for instance, if they have retained sperm over the winter months, they will lay in the spring).

one last thing to consider--you are positive that post-it is a female right? how much does post-it weigh and how old is she?
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    well, definitely incubate them and keep an eye on them. if they are fertile and you candle them again a few weeks you should start to see a dark area like a shadow in the egg where the gecko is forming.

she could have retained sperm but it is odd that she would wait until it is getting cooler to lay. usually if they aren't laying but retaining sperm they will lay after it starts warming up (for instance, if they have retained sperm over the winter months, they will lay in the spring).

one last thing to consider--you are positive that post-it is a female right? how much does post-it weigh and how old is she?

Thanks Emily.

I do have to keep a heat lamp on at night because it drops to about 65 degrees. So the lamp keeps it at about 72-76 degrees. Not sure if that would effect warming.

I am 100% sure Post It is female. She is 35 grams as of Last night, and she will be a year old Dec. 2nd. She shows absolutely no signs of pores, or a buldge. Hopefully She isn't a Late bloomer
    Kristina Rogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

just checking about post-it.

if it is warmer now with the heat lamp than it was before you started using that maybe that induced her to lay. just make sure she is getting enough calcium and keep an eye on the eggs.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    just checking about post-it.

if it is warmer now with the heat lamp than it was before you started using that maybe that induced her to lay. just make sure she is getting enough calcium and keep an eye on the eggs.

Will do, I did check her caclium sacs too. They are nice and full, but I will also give her extra roaches with calcium. I was wondering why she had such a drastic weight loss in only two weeks. She had been eating so I was really worried and about to make a vet appointment.

Hopefully she eventually stops laying eggs. This is the one I told you about that I didn't want to breed because she had the oddly shaped back. I don't want her to over work her body.

Ashley,
    It is pretty interesting. The first time she did it I about had a stroke lol. I was really excited, then that cloud of doom came a long when I quickly realized they weren't fertile.
    Kristina Rogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

awe kristy what a buzz kill lol

Thanks

Yeah it was, but thats okay. I would much rather her be healthy than have any eggs.

At least I will be prepared when I do actually breed some cresties. So there is a plus to all this.
    Kristina Rogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast