Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,333

3 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Please Help.

Thanks

Red face Please Help.

My girlfriend doesnt know im posting this but her baby sulcata she got on monday (today is friday) has not eaten at all. she has offered it lettuce, cantelope, clovers, appetite stimulant, boxed tortoise food, and still this little baby does not eat. it has not pooped either. but it does drink. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions comments. she is so upset and it makes me feel horrible

Thanks

Re: Please Help.

I am in no way experienced with turtles, much less torti, but I hear that they may not eat until they have settled in, much like snakes. I know they eat primarily greens, so there isn't any short cut way to stimulate them like with turtles and smelly food or feeding after they've warmed up in the morning.

I suggest googling some experienced sulcata keepers sites, and see what they have to say about stimulating them to eat. in the meantime.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

what was it eating before she got it? can she find out and offer it the same thing? tell her not to offer lettuce--it is too watery and can cause diarrhea and contains no nutrients. she can try dandelion greens, carrots, turnip greens, cucumbers, parsley, bermuda grass, orchard grass, clover, watercress, and hibiscus leaves and flowers. instead of fruit she should feed opuntia cactus which is very nutritious (my tortoise LOVES the stuff). she can also feed mazuri tortoise diet as a supplement--it is easier for hatchlings to eat it if you add some water so it is more of a mash than a solid.

i have been dusting my tort's greens with this supplement with good results: http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/cat...roducts_id=261. you can also usually get the opuntia cactus from them but they must be out right now because i don't see it listed. if your girlfriend wants some send me a pm with her address and i'll send her some as i grow it myself and have plenty.

do you know what temps she is keeping the tortoise at (if it's too cold he will go into hibernation)? she should also be using a good uva/uvb bulb.

as a hatchling she should also soak him daily in lukewarm water. this may help him to defecate, and as soon as you can get a fecal to the vet the better, so you can rule out any internal parasites which might be causing him not to eat. this is very important, especially since he is not eating--since he is still just a hatchling you need to get him back on the right track as quickly as possible.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thank you so much for the quick response. the temps are never below 70 and never hottere than like 94. it does get soaked every day.