Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

3 members and 3,106 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: green crestie pics..

"The green coloration in Crested Geckos is produced by two or more different colors combining to create a green coloration. Crested geckos do not actually have any green pigment and they also lack any blue pigments."

Found that here:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/morphs_colors.htm

Those cresteds look awesome! I can now say that green cresties are my favorite colored cresties out there! lol
    -Nicole

Thanks

thank you nicole.. daddy is actually an olive color but these babies are VERY vibrant and show no signs of changing as of yet

Thanks

they were just both eating crickets and some cgd just now.. both are nice and fired up and BEAUTIFUL deep green! even the baby i thought had dulled out some is just as dark as its buddy. aside from some dalmation spots on traid i cant tell them apart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kneeonflamingo View Post
    "The green coloration in Crested Geckos is produced by two or more different colors combining to create a green coloration. Crested geckos do not actually have any green pigment and they also lack any blue pigments."

Found that here:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/morphs_colors.htm

Those cresteds look awesome! I can now say that green cresties are my favorite colored cresties out there! lol

i dont know about that.. i did read the link but to say the gecko doesnt have any green pigment, these animals live here and there is no denying their green color.. if they arent green i would love to hear what color they are.

thank you for the compliment.. i thought they were awesome looking and loved the look, im glad so many people here are also enthusiastic about them too

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

cresteds do lack both green and blue pigment, however that doesn't mean that they can't look green. i have one male in particular that looks very green when he isn't fired up. it is some combination of yellows and other colors that gives the green appearance--i honestly don't really know how it works but obviously it does.
    - Emily

Thanks

It makes sense to me. The way I think of it is if you have two translucent sheets of paper. One of the papers is yellow and the other is blue. If you over lap those papers, you see green. The paper really isn't green at all, but it appears to be anyway. I'm not sure if that's really how it works, but that is the way I see. You can def. have a green crested gecko apparently, but it's not really a pigment that they have. It's a combination of two pigments put together. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, lol!
    -Nicole

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

if cresteds had blue pigment it would make sense to me, but since they don't i don't really know what combination of pigments it is that gives the appearance of green. i especially don't understand how ashley's two cresteds have the color they have--usually green is a non-fired up version of a black crested, but these two only get darker and brighter green when they fire up. how is that happening?!
    - Emily

Thanks

awesome crestie. what about blue? jk. thanks for sharing.
    -Linh
    0.1 Sumatran Stp
    1.0 Pastel BP

Thanks

"Olive - This morph can vary from very dark to almost pastel, and to the untrained eye, could sometimes be described as green. The color we know as olive in painting, is actually a combination of yellow and black, but contains no blue pigment as a true green (green is a combination of yellow and blue). That green tint you see in many other color morphs seems to be this olive color."

Found that here:
    http://www.sandfiredragonranch.com/t...ko_article.htm

Maybe that will shed some light on the subject! Do you think that would be a hard morph to breed?

I think you are def. very lucky to have stumbled across these beautiful geckos! I'm really jeolous. Are you going to try and breed them in the future?
    -Nicole

Thanks

Nicole, i am considering it.. the breeder has agreed to help me make more of these green babies since we know who the dad is but im not sure i want to get that large scale of animals with no where to sell them. I would rather sell these babies to someone who does breeding to work on the color themselves and perhaps aid in making this color more widely found. the breeder said hes had some green/olive hatchlings before but none as green and vibrant as trick and traid, and even as they grow i expected them to shade out some already but thankfully so far they havnt... im holding out hope they hold some of this color if nothing else they are getting more vibrant, especially when fired up. the breeder is going to be working with me on creating more of these animals when trick or traid get older but since he works on such a large scale being a whole saler the chances are slim that we will actually "work on it", he doesnt really have time to dazzle in genetics and making a specific color when he has such high demand for cresteds in general.. the general public isnt looking for a certain color, in this case he knew i was crazy about the green and when he found another on in the same clutch he held it for me...
    as for the color being olive.. i have seen some that can be considered olive, but i think these animals are more of a jade or true green color than olive, but thats just me especially considering no color alterations were done to these pictures, perhaps its my moniters at work and home that makes me think they are more green cause in real life they certainly dont look olive to me.. but hey everyone has opinions. im still confused, how could you make green, or even olive if there is no blue in cresteds? where would the green come from? i can understand the yellow.. but certainly not blue. i guess this is something you would really have to see in person to understand, these animals are so far from the olive animals i have seen here, other websites and even in real life its not funny.. guess i just got lucky and there is no real understanding it? im so eager to see what they would make if i mixed them with another animal in similar color
    Last edited by ADEE; 11-05-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast