Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

2 members and 3,175 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How hard is it to deal with large snakes?

when constricted by a giant, i try and tickle their bellys or lick them crazy! j/k............ i always keep a bottle of gray goose by the tank. ya know the small ones that are like 2 bucks and are equal to 1 shot.
    ~Chris~
    Snakes have blood, feal fear, breathe air, eat food, drink water, reproduce, and they happen to live in a body which is difficult for the average person to understand. One fears what one doesn't understand. ignorance creates fear. The fear of snakes is not cultivated…we are not born with it…children love snakes, just as naturally as they love dogs and cats. don’t be afraid of a reptile’s tongue…the only animal that can hurt you with its tongue is the human being.

Thanks

Does alcohol work better than trying to get the snake off by force? I have heard to spray the animal in the face with the alcohol. Now, how concentrated is too much? Would alcohol that is ok to drink work well? I have only been bitten by small snakes so far. A half grown corn and two baby balls, so something that large would definatly be an experience. I have been bitten by a rottweiler though.

I don't think either of us could a snake that large off of either of us by force, so would alcohol be the best solution in a case of being bitten or constricted?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Ight so I was a little off with the bus fact haha... well i was off but not off... more of mixed up... the car was 2,000lbs ... the bus is 9,000... Heres the video I saw...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/821280...orce_at_90psi/
    snakes

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    Does alcohol work better than trying to get the snake off by force? I have heard to spray the animal in the face with the alcohol. Now, how concentrated is too much? Would alcohol that is ok to drink work well? I have only been bitten by small snakes so far. A half grown corn and two baby balls, so something that large would definatly be an experience. I have been bitten by a rottweiler though.

I don't think either of us could a snake that large off of either of us by force, so would alcohol be the best solution in a case of being bitten or constricted?
    You don't spray it in their face at all. You tilt their head, so as they're facing downwards (so they don't swallow any); then pour a small amount into their mouth. This irritates their mouth and throat, and causes them to let go. It irritates their throat on about the same level it does ours. It burns and tingles slightly...

Whiskey, Vodka, Rum, etc. They all work. This would be something to keep by. Even if you never use it....safety first.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJP7 View Post
    Ight so I was a little off with the bus fact haha... well i was off but not off... more of mixed up... the car was 2,000lbs ... the bus is 9,000...
    Fine. But the point I was mostly making, as did others, is that strength and gender are irrelevant. Education and safety are what matters.

Thanks

Thanks for clearing that up. So basically you just keep a small bottle of alcohol (like those little sample bottles) around for an event like that. Is there any chance the snake will not let go, or will the alcohol work everytime?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess View Post
    what does it matter the sex if she's physically fit? yes, it's a fact that men are usually stronger than women but have you met his fiance? do you know that she's a hundred pounds and really weak? if the two of them feel that they can handle this snake together, with confidence, does it matter that she's female?
    Fit nothing, these snakes in my opinion need at least 4 people to handle. If it decides to throw a coil on you, one person is not going to make a difference, man or woman.

Here is a pic of my gf and i with a friend of mine's burm.

She is 17 feet and 210 lbs.. It took 5 of us to hold her up, and that was with her docile and friendly. Even with 5 of us though, if she decided to throw a hissy fit, there is little we could do. I think very few people should own these snakes, and for good reason. This is not intended to offend any large snake owners, but these animals require extreme respect and a handler with exstensive knowledge that few people possess.

Robin

Thanks

Point well taken. I probably won't get something as big as a retic or burm. I'm just too small of a person to ever handle a snake like that, five other people or not. Nice pictures though. I probably won't ever get anything over 10ft unless I have hands on experience for a while beforehand. Smaller snakes you can work with to get used to but I think there is no time to get used to a large snake. And its a risk I don't want to take just yet. I want to be well informed and experienced before ever bringing a large snake like that into my life.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    Point well taken. I probably won't get something as big as a retic or burm. I'm just too small of a person to ever handle a snake like that, five other people or not. Nice pictures though. I probably won't ever get anything over 10ft unless I have hands on experience for a while beforehand. Smaller snakes you can work with to get used to but I think there is no time to get used to a large snake. And its a risk I don't want to take just yet. I want to be well informed and experienced before ever bringing a large snake like that into my life.
    Very sound thinking. We got a big female boa, and that is the perfect snake if you are looking for something bigger but not overwhelming in my opinion. They get no where near as big as a burm, and have a much gentler demeanor than a retic, though i have seen a few pissed-off boas in my day. Even with my female boa, though she has never hissed or striked at me, i am always aware of her body langauge and only pull her out when my GF is also home. A 6 foot boa can still kill you if get in trouble and have a coil or 2 around your neck and have no one there to help you out.

Robin

Thanks

We have no plans on getting any more snakes until we get an apartment. We were thinking about a red-tail boa. I had a juvie when I was little but we had to move and find a new home for her, so I never got to experience her as a larger snake. What about olive pythons. I think that is what they are called. Anyone know about the temperment of these?
    Under Construction.....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast