Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

2 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How hard is it to deal with large snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    So what exactly do you have to prepare for when keeping a snake so big, other than big bites, big poops, big food, and lots of muscle? I know they require more space. What is a good sized enclosure for something over 10'? Do they require hides?
    You can buy 8ft enclosures for larger snakes, which will work for snakes up to pretty much 15-16 ft long. A friend of ours has an enclosure he built for his 14ft female retic that someone could sleep in and gives zoo's a run for their money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ffollett View Post
    You can buy 8ft enclosures for larger snakes, which will work for snakes up to pretty much 15-16 ft long. A friend of ours has an enclosure he built for his 14ft female retic that someone could sleep in and gives zoo's a run for their money.
    Talking about...The Man....The Myth....The Legend....The Snake Guru!

If you are Brad rocks. And you are 100% right about his enclosure.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

LOL hey man. You know I am.

Thanks

Since we're talking about getting constricted, can some of the more experienced folk talk about the actual technique in unwrapping one?

The only thing I've heard is that you should unwind from the tail... I would think that you could overpower the individual sections, but as you start unwrapping do they start coiling on the new person?
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

Thanks

I would personally work myself up to it.

Carpets are really cool and some of them get up into the 8 - 10' range. Mine is just shy of 6' and I got him as an adult. I can tell you that handling him took a while to master. It's nothing like handling a BP.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swingline0.0.1 View Post
    Since we're talking about getting constricted, can some of the more experienced folk talk about the actual technique in unwrapping one?

The only thing I've heard is that you should unwind from the tail... I would think that you could overpower the individual sections, but as you start unwrapping do they start coiling on the new person?
    If it does happen, start right before the tail begins...towards the cloaca, or base of the tail. Don't grab from the actual tail. Start unwinding, slowly but deliberately. If you start head first, all your going to do is find out that the snake is much stronger than you. The Snake may yank, or pull its tail from your hand, and tighten its grip. This is why its important to have a second hand on the scene, if it is a larger animal. If the animal ceases to let its grip go, then go ahead with another method. Try running water, liqour, rubbing alcohol cut with water (10/90 Alcohol to water ratio) etc.

Just remember, that when it all boils down to it....safety is top priority and concern with giant keepers. What happens to use, when keeping our animals, kind of trickles down, and effects the hobby. If we were to get seriously injured, or killed...it could effect the ownership of giant Boids, and Monitors in our area, or even state...

Thanks

Yea, snake news is very sensationalist. Remember that thing in Houston a while back with people freaking out because a bunch of baby BP's got loose? They really go to town when it comes to giants.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bearhart View Post
    Yea, snake news is very sensationalist. Remember that thing in Houston a while back with people freaking out because a bunch of baby BP's got loose? They really go to town when it comes to giants.
    ugh! don't remind me! that keeper shouldn't be allowed to keep snakes! but the interview with the old lady down the street was hilarious!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

lol yea for somebody that clearly knew very little about snakes she was very sure of herself when she was telling the camera how they can eat dogs and small children.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJP7 View Post
    I personally dont see the point in owning a large snake... I dont want to offend anyone with a large snake bc thats your own business but to see the power of a small ball and just imagin that times like 30 and thats a retic/burm/rock... I would even want something more than my female fiance around to help you as well... Trying to move a 100lb snake is not easy and if something goes wrong no offense but its going to take a lot more than a girl to help get the snake off... my honest opinion is go with a rtb... still dangerouse and getting pretty big but still managable....

For those who do own big snakes... props to you guys... I saw a retic at the toronto zoo and the guy said it was 16-18ft and eats rabbits and this snake was huuuuge... Couldnt imagine what that thing could do to a human... On National Geographic channel i watched a show on anacondas and they showed how they have the ability to exert 2900lbs of pressure on an animal during an attack.... thats as much as a full sized school bus!... impressive... and scary.
    Um.... did you see the youtube video of 4 guys trying to get an anaconda's mouth off of one guy. Here it is if not:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P5S217F0cw

I know a green anaconda is a lot larger than a Burmese, but still, you get the idea.

No offense to YOU, but I wouldn't trust two professional body guards to get a mad Burm off of me. So your comment about your "female fiancee" is equally true in reverse. The same goes for the other poster who comments on his girlfriend's ability to help him. The only thing that might help anyway is a bottle of alcohol to get the giant to release. So alcohol can be good afterall!

But I still think that an experienced handler who has a love for Burms should go for it. I wish I had the space/courage/money to do it myself.

One more thing, school buses weight a lot more than 2,900 lbs. Of course, I still wouldn't want a large python squeezing me! But here are some school bus facts for you:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_d...hool_bus_weigh
    http://www.stnonline.com/stn/faq/schoolbustypes.htm

Now, back to the original OP, sounds like you are on the right path of research, etc. Kudos to you and good luck. I am sure you will do what is right for you. I am jealous!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast