Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,060

5 members and 1,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

I need an advice

Ok guys. Help me out here plz.

I've had my BP Buddy in his new home for 6 days now without touching him. The tank is a 20 gallon long tank, which is set up to best of my abilities. I finally got the temp working. One side is usually around 89.5-92 F while the other one is 80-83. I've got two hides on each side. I have Aspen substrate on top of a thick layer of newspaper. I also have a medium size dish bowl for the snake to soak in + for humidity. I usually refill it every 2-3 days. My humidity is always around 55-59% (I think Buddy might be about to start shedding because his skin kinda got darker) so I may need to increase humidity. So my question is, can I spray water on Aspen substrate to increase humidity? What if there are 2 UTH on one side of the tank (not the side with the water bowl) I know of few other ways to increase humidity ( such as moving the water dish closer to the lamp)

Another thing I'm worried about is that Buddy doesn't seem to like his hides at all. For a week he's been chilling outside. Thankfully he hasn't been exploring too much as of the last 1-2 days and instead just chilling (before he would explore and look for ways to escape) What should I do to get him to use his hides?

Also when is time to feed him? He might start to shed soon. I haven't fed him for about 2 weeks now. I offered him F/T mouse (small one) and he refused to eat about a week ago but I think that might be because I was handling him too much right after bringing him home but ever since i set up his tank I haven't touched him (for almost a week)

I bolded the questions so that they are easier to be found. THANKS A LOT EVERYONE. I LOVE this site and it's been awesome in educating me on how to care for a BP.
    1.0 Normal (Buddy)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I need an advice

Yes, you can spritz some water onto the aspen. It won't hurt anything. Just don't get it soaking wet. But if your humidity is staying that high and constant, you probably don't have to do anything at all.

What kind of hides are you using? Are they small and tight-fitting for him? Or the open-sided half-logs? If you're using the logs, try replacing them with small plastic bowls or saucers that you can cut an entrance into. If they're already small and snug...then you just have to wait for the snake to find them and feel certain (in its own little primitive brain) that no other critters have or will claim those perfect little caves. You don't have to MAKE him do anything.

As for eating...if it's feeding day, try to feed him. Do you know what he was eating before you brought him home? Best to stick with that, whatever it was...and then, once you're certain he's comfortable enough to eat with you, you can start the process of trying to switch methods if you prefer. If you don't know what he was eating and can't find out....then try what you wish and see if he'll eat it. It may take a few weeks to find the right meal for him....but be patient and don't try to feed too often. Once a week is plenty, even if he's refusing. Offering food more often than that can cause more problems than it is likely to solve.
    -- Judy

Thanks

if you have a glass tank I highly recommend using "distilled" or "purified" water to mist unless you prefer looking at water spots instead of your snake. You can get it cheap at the grocery in gallon jugs. I use distilled for everything.

Also, to expand on what Judy said: do you know if he was eating F/T before? If he has been eating live then this probably isn't the best time to switch him.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

To raise humidity in your enclosure you can

Switch to a substrate holding humidity better (Cypress Mulch, Repti-Bark)
    Spray your enclosure
    Have a humid hide
    Place and additional water dish on the warm side above the UTH
    Partially cover the screen top of your enclosure
    What should I do to get him to use his hides?
    What type of hides do you use? Are they tight (all sides touching your BP's body) and identical?
    I offered him F/T mouse (small one) and he refused to eat about a week ago but I think that might be because I was handling him too much right after bringing him home but ever since i set up his tank I haven't touched him (for almost a week)
    Has your BP ever ate successfully for you? Was that BP eating F/T before you acquired him? Because if not I would suggest you to feed live for 2 to 3 feedings before attempting to switch, getting him to eat for you should be the priority for now switching to F/T should be secondary and switching can take time depends on the individual.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

When it comes to size of hides... use this thread for reference.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...highlight=hide

But yea... ditto on what has been said previously on your other questions. They are great anwsers by knowledgable keepers.

Thanks

Now that I think of it, I would be inclined to give the hide situation priority over the food. If he's not using his hides he probably isn't feeling too comfortable and that is certainly enough to keep a BP from eating.

In general, I think 6 days is a bit early to start really getting worried. A BP that old can go a few weeks without food easy. However, this might be a good time to collect any history on him you can. What do you know about his prior arrangements? Was he a picky feeder? If the people you bought him from are halfway reputable, the will be able to give you helpful advice in this case. I would avoid being accusatory or emotional with them, though.

Also, my experience is that they all act a bit funny during the shedding process.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

One more thing. I just got done reviewing your last thread and I wasn't sure about how things turned out.

One thing I noticed was that your thermometer is suction-cup mount type. This isn't bad, but if you are getting a read off of a thermometer stuck to the side of the glass then you can be sure that your hides are running several degrees warmer.

This is the most recommended thermometer: Acu-Rite 00891 Digital Thermometer (google it). It can be found in most wal-marts for about $13. I has a small wire probe that will allow you to accurately measure the temperature inside your hides.

I'm mentioning this because there are only two times when my BP leaves his warm hide: when he's pooped in it, and when its too hot.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

Thanks for the replies all. I was only asking about spraying Aspen because once he starts shedding I would have to raise humidity.

My snake is just 18-19 inches long and hasn't had any food for two weeks now. I got him on the 14th of October. Tried feeding f/t on around the 23rd i believe. On the 24th I finally finished setting up his tank (with everything he needs) and decided to wait another week. I have no idea what they fed him before, but I dont know what else to feed him other than F/T. Since he's just about 19 inches I doubt he can kill live food yet (or whether it is safe or not)

He has two half log hides. I pressed them against the back glass wall so that only the front is open. Both are rather small and the first 2 days my BP seemed to stay in the cool sides half logs, but then got out and won't go back in. The tank enclosure is covered from 2 sides so only 2 sides are open. Also before I added the 2nd hide, and fixed up his tank, he used to hide all the time in one of the hides. Also I am in a tight money spot so I was thinking maybe I could alter the half logs to make the entrance smaller?
    Last edited by NickP; 10-30-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    1.0 Normal (Buddy)

Thanks

By the way I have two thermometers. One is Acurite (not suction cup mount) and the other is this one: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...roducts_id=655
    1.0 Normal (Buddy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    My snake is just 18-19 inches long and hasn't had any food for two weeks now. I got him on the 14th of October. Tried feeding f/t on around the 23rd i believe. On the 24th I finally finished setting up his tank (with everything he needs) and decided to wait another week. I have no idea what they fed him before, but I dont know what else to feed him other than F/T. Since he's just about 19 inches I doubt he can kill live food yet (or whether it is safe or not)
    I use half-log hides (cork bark) with no problem but I know its not considered the best thing to use.

So, your snake can most surely kill live food. I bought mine at about 18" and I fed him small mice at that time (I guess juvenile but will all their fur and full mobility). You might try a live mouse if he won't eat. Just make sure to get a small one that has a body about the size of a large person's thumb.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast