Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

1 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Is OSI Quad Safe When Dry and Fume Free?

I am building hides for AFT's and used OSI Quad to adhere styrofoam walls/roofs. I will be grouting and painting and sealing once they have dried for 48 hours. I assume it will be fine, but wanted to see if there was anything negative out there to be shared before I get too far with this project. This is a pic of what I have done so far..10 gallon tank..Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I just looked at the MSDS sheet (I have never used this product) it has some serious solvents (Xylenes, Stoddard solvent, Naphthalene, and Ethylbenzene) They should gas out and leave the solid component (No idea what this is) my concern is the mixing of xylene and naphthalene with white Styrofoam this is usually used with windows? I have a suggestion, you are using this to hold bits together? Why not use hot melt glue or locktite power grab to hold it together both are non toxic once cured and will not effect the foam. I would wonder if the product would melt the foam. Best guesses on my part I am unfamiliar with it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

TheLuckyGecko (12-31-2012)

Thanks

Re: Is OSI Quad Safe When Dry and Fume Free?

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I just looked at the MSDS sheet (I have never used this product) it has some serious solvents (Xylenes, Stoddard solvent, Naphthalene, and Ethylbenzene) They should gas out and leave the solid component (No idea what this is) my concern is the mixing of xylene and naphthalene with white Styrofoam this is usually used with windows? I have a suggestion, you are using this to hold bits together? Why not use hot melt glue or locktite power grab to hold it together both are non toxic once cured and will not effect the foam. I would wonder if the product would melt the foam. Best guesses on my part I am unfamiliar with it.
    Thank you for your response. I have used the OSI Quad (the brown in the photo, holding the styrofoam together), and it didn't disolve the foam or alter it in any way visibly. I tried the hot glue first and it melted the foam. I was going to get loctite, but had the OSI Quad on hand so I used that. I thought it would be the same once aired out, and that being covered with grout and paint and then sealant, my reptiles should never come in contact with it at all, but was curious to see if there was something I was not aware of out there regarding this product and it's toxicity upon drying. I would rather start fresh and use loctite if there is risk involved. Thanks again!

Thanks

Re: Is OSI Quad Safe When Dry and Fume Free?

I'm headed for more foam and some loctite..playing it safe! Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    http://www.lizard-landscapes.com

i have done a few I just followed this DIY. I can't say about the cured version. The MSDS only talk about the solvents if applied directly they do melt foam but clearly if it has not it won't. I only looked at the msds sheets on the product and made a guess from there. It is hard to know what is ok and what is not. Likely it is but I cannot say that for sure.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

TheLuckyGecko (12-31-2012)

Thanks
    I just cut all new styrofoam and bought loctite..I should have done this in the first place I guess better late than never I'll post pics when I'm done...Nothing award winning, but fun and a little different for a 10 gallon tank. I just wanted to maximize space and the pre-mades do not do that for 10 gallons. When they are a little bigger we will move to 20's, and I will have more options, ad well as loctite on hand..lol Live and learn

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheLuckyGecko For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (12-30-2012)