Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,451

5 members and 2,446 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Bp not eating?

Thanks

Unhappy Bp not eating?

My bp has randomly chosen not to eat tonight. he hasnt done this ever before except when shedding. any one know why. i know that theyre very reclusive. but mine isnt. theres only one thing i think could have caused him to not eat (im just guessing). i got a him a new really big climbing obstical in his cage. he seems to be really interested with it all of the sudden and is deciding to play around quite a bit when he is ussualy sleeping. he is super energetic tonight and wont eat i am really confused and slightly worried. any comforting words of knowledge and expertese of ball python behavior word be so appriciated. please help!

Thanks

Re: Bp not eating

Quote Originally Posted by pythontricker View Post
    My bp has randomly chosen not to eat tonight. he hasnt done this ever before except when shedding. any one know why. i know that theyre very reclusive. but mine isnt. theres only one thing i think could have caused him to not eat (im just guessing). i got a him a new really big climbing obstical in his cage. he seems to be really interested with it all of the sudden and is deciding to play around quite a bit when he is ussualy sleeping. he is super energetic tonight and wont eat i am really confused and slightly worried. any comforting words of knowledge and expertese of ball python behavior word be so appriciated. please help!

Thanks

Re: Bp not eating?

If he is over a year old and female BP's are present, chances are he is not thinking of food. A lot of males stop eating during mating season.

Even if that is not that case, I wouldn't get too worried. Just wait a week, and try again come next feeding day.

Robin

Thanks

He may not feel comfortable enough to eat. He's probably more interesting in making sure this new thing in his cage is not anything to worry about.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bearhart View Post
    He may not feel comfortable enough to eat. He's probably more interesting in making sure this new thing in his cage is not anything to worry about.
    ^agreed. if he is extremly energetic and seeming enthusiastic about the new changes to his cage he is doing it out of panic and stress. he doesnt know or understand what it is or what predators it could hide. he has to make sure his home is safe before he will think about eating. leave him be in his cage till next feeding day. just water and maintence and let him settle into his home then try feeding again

Thanks

I would be careful with just assuming that your BP isn't reclusive. It is important to distinguish between a relaxed and anxious behavior. Any activity that involves extended time outside the hide, searching the walls and ceiling, or constant movement is most likely stress and not play. On the other hand, a relaxed outing would be something like hanging the head out of the hide or a period of lazily basking while occasionally changing position.

When I first got my BP I thought it was so cool that he came out at 6pm every night and cruised his cage before settling down sometime after I went to bed. As I learned more about the husbandry, I started making improvements to his setup. All of a sudden, he quit coming out! I was worried and that's how I found this site. I posted my problem and everybody promptly told me things sounded pretty good! At first, I was pretty disappointed to find out my new pet was a hermit. But now I just take him out when I want to hold him and, otherwise, it just makes the Snakey sightings that much more exciting!

And, just so you know, my BP isn't shy or skittish at all - noticing when he's getting stressed can be tough sometimes. But, no matter how relaxed he is, he still wants to play it safe and stay in his hide most of the time.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"