Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

0 members and 3,381 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First Shed & Pet Store Rescue(D.U.W.)....

First pics are of my Pastel who just shed last night (first shed since I had him!). Second set are of my newly acquired Normal (not sure of sex need to have shim probed) I got her/him from a local pet store tonight, was beeing kept under not so nice conditions so I had to grab her/him. He/She seems healthy so far, no mouth/belly rot, breathing seems good and aside from a little stuck shed on his/her tail the body is good. Not sure on age, the "snake expert" said about 5 months old. She/Him is weighing in at 140grams and seems very happy right now

1.0 Hypo RTB - Kotex * 1.0 Spider BP - Master Chief * 1.0 Pastel BP - Snakey * 0.3 Normal BP's - Cortana, Baby Girl & Straga

Thanks

Re: First Shed & Pet Store Rescue(D.U.W.)....

VERY VERY BEAUTIFUL! very vibrant and beautiful blushings
    ~Chris~
    Snakes have blood, feal fear, breathe air, eat food, drink water, reproduce, and they happen to live in a body which is difficult for the average person to understand. One fears what one doesn't understand. ignorance creates fear. The fear of snakes is not cultivated…we are not born with it…children love snakes, just as naturally as they love dogs and cats. don’t be afraid of a reptile’s tongue…the only animal that can hurt you with its tongue is the human being.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Very nice looking animal, very vibrant colors. But why does every snake anyone buys from a pet store that still has a little shed stuck to it have to be a 'rescue'???? It's not a rescue, it's a purchase.... There is nothing wrong with that snake. It looks fine, it looks healthy, it was obviously not suffering. So why do so many people feel the need to demonize pet stores???

Mark

Thanks

The pet store I got the snake from just got it in on Friday so the horrible conditions didn't have time to effect the snake. The conditions the snake was living in is why I consider it a rescue. The clerk at the store had no idea about snakes or the husbandry involved with keeping one. There was no temperature gradient (all though I can't tell for sure since there was just a stick on fish thermometer) no way to tell humidity, in at least a 55gal tank with no hides or water.
    1.0 Hypo RTB - Kotex * 1.0 Spider BP - Master Chief * 1.0 Pastel BP - Snakey * 0.3 Normal BP's - Cortana, Baby Girl & Straga

Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again...purchasing an animal from a pet store for their asking price is not a rescue. It may make you feel good, but ultimately it just reaffirms to the pet store that they can sell snakes under those conditions.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

who said I paid full price or money at all

Thanks

Perhaps it was implied. Care to clarify?
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    6.4.8 ASFs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

who said I paid full price or money at all
    What, did you steal it? They only had it for a few days? Where you just assuming that they were going to take care of it poorly because it's a pet store???

Thanks

While I agree with Mark and Jess in that I wouldn't claim that as a rescue the animosity seen in this thread so far is alarming.
    At only 8 posts long (9 including mine) it's like walking into an electrical storm. This IS the internet, this IS a (relatively) public forum, instead of using this post to jump on a soap box (a good soap box yes, but soap box nonetheless) why not comment on her animals and start a thread elsewhere about the demonizing of pet stores and what consitutes as a rescue?
    All of QT rooms rows are winding down, why not add it there?

Thanks

*shrug* It bothers me when people buy an animal from a cruddy situation, pay money to support the cruddy situation, and then turn around and call it a rescue. It's taking credit for an action that ultimately causes more harm. That upsets me. Just like the people who buy the poor puppy from the petstore because they feel so sorry for it...the petstore doesn't care why you buy it, they make their money, and they turn around and put another puppy in the cage you just emptied, so the next sucker can buy it.

It devalues the efforts of those of us who actually do rescue, and it in the long run it harms more animals.

It would be better to let them know that you had come in there looking for such an animal, but based on their poor care of the animal, you had decided to take your business elsewhere...that would do far more good.
    ~Jess
    6.4.8 ASFs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast