Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

1 members and 3,201 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

a jade/green crestie?

I met up with my breeder tonight for crickets and was asking about his cresteds that i knew were due to hatch.. he showed them to me (Gave me first pick cause he knows i want another one) and inside was a jade/green one.. around his eyes and "crest" were bright yellow and his body was a deep green. is that a typical color (good or bad) he hatched like 2 days ago so will he shed that nice color? Hes currently holding him for me (till he gets old enough to safely bring home) but i wanted to ask what you all thought of it too... i know he breeds Harlequin cresteds.. and most of them looked alot like hallo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: a jade/green crestie?

green is not a color pigment that exists in cresteds, but sometimes you get a combination of other colors that makes the gecko appear green at certain times. at 2 days old the gecko you saw is not showing its adult coloration (that takes anywhere from 3-9+ months), but it's odd that it would look green and yellow at that age.

i wish i could see a photo of it so i could see what's going on there. did it just have highlights around its eyes and cresteds or was it a flame or harlequin? what about its parents--do you know what they look like? without seeing them or a photo of the gecko itself its pretty hard to say how it might turn out.
    - Emily

Thanks

hmmmm... i dont know what the parents look like. This animal was most certainly green in color.. there was no mistaking it. It stood out in the enclosure, and against its clutch mates was the only of its kind. He breeds harlequin flame cresteds if that helps I will see him and possibly the animal again in a week when i get my next box of crickets. i can try to take pics then. "it" had highlights around its eyes and on the very top of its head that were bright yellow and the rest of it was a strong vibrant green color. I know these wont be its adult colors but was wondering if its a mutation/fluke should i stay away from it, exc. He does sell wholesale and was placing an order in another 2 weeks and he said he has such fast turn over of these babies he really doesnt take the time to "hold back" the babies.. he has his group of breeding cresteds (not sure how many exactly)I can ask him more questions next time I see him but to be honest Im not sure how great his records are.. considering how many he sells anually, im not saying thats a good thing or a bad thing.. thats just how he works. I saw something interesting and asked him to hold it for me... obviously considering how old it was i wasnt about to bring it home and risk it not living.. hallo is doing well but is much older too thank you.. sorry i dont have more info. i can always give him a call to see it again tomorrow (bring my camera), he did put it aside in its own cage for me this afternoon
    Last edited by ADEE; 10-26-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

there is no reason to stay away from a gecko based on its color as long as the gecko itself looks healthy. if he breeds for wholesale purposes he likely doesn't know who the parents of each gecko are. i'll still be interested to see a photo though if you can easily get one.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB View Post
    hmmmm... This animal was most certainly green in color.. there was no mistaking it. It stood out in the enclosure, and against its clutch mates was the only of its kind.
    was it sipping a cup of coffee and yapping about geico.com?

Thanks

nate your too funny

i will call him tomorrow and see if i can meet up with him in the coming days. he does have a very busy schedule and is almost never on time for appointments but if nothing else in a week when i need more crickets i will be sure to bring my camera. he did say if i felt confident i could bring him home but i needed to understand at only 2days old hes very fragile.. he knows im anal about my animals having proper care but also knows im new to cresteds and i was uneasy bringing him home just yet.. in a week we will see how hes doing and how much hes grown/changed... he does well and i can bring him home in about 3wks depending how he does. at least until then i can request him bring him with him when i pick up dinner for the girls

Thanks
    Blog Entries

definitely wait until he is at least 4 weeks old before you bring him home. i'll also be interested to see if he looks different when you see him next time, depending on whether or not he was fired up when you saw him this time and based on the fact that they do tend to go through a few stages of color changes as they mature (and at just a few days old he will likely be going through one of those changes very soon).
    - Emily

Thanks

awesome, thanks emily.. i thought i did the right thing by not taking him home although you know it killed me not to