Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

2 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Stinkin' hot Tucson, AZ (it's somewhere between California and New Mexico).
    Thanks

Racks...But How About Stackable Terrariums?

I'm thinking along the lines of Animal Plastics type. We have our "boys" all housed in Exo tanks right now. of course, after being in the hobby for a while again, you age and mature (ah-hem) and am looking at something a little larger and more refined. By larger I mean physically (looking for perhaps to build/buy 2 six footers and 3 three footers) and by refined I mean without having to have individual hoods and with screen tops that begin to flake off their aluminum over time, blah, blah, blah. Definately need to be stackable, also like the AP tanks.

Nothing on Animal Plastics, but to get the setup with all the bells and whistles we would have to come up with about $2,500 - $3,000. - which is in no way shape or form in our budget. Was looking at the 6ft. terrariums with the hinged opening doors.

Has anybody made any such tanks succesfully? Pics? I've been cruising the forums here and about 95% of everything I see is a rack system. We are sticking with the terrarium style as we like to have them displayed as well as housed.

I'll keep looking but just thought I would post this as I guess I'm getting to be such a lazy-uh, person.
    Last edited by mrmertz; 04-06-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks

Re: Racks...But How About Stackable Terrariums?

I was actually thinking about making my own enclosures with either front opening or sliding front doors for ball pythons. They would've been about 36x24x12 which for me is the size I want for my adult ball pythons. (People can debate size, but this isn't a thread for that so we'll leave it there.)

I had plans drawn up and found that I could get 3 enclosures from two 4x8 sheets of wood. I was not entirely sure or sold on which type of wood to use. I wasn't going to use melamine, I knew that much... I was looking into a few products to seal and waterproof the wood. There was one that I found, it escapes me now, and it's used on the cement around pools and things. And has been used successfully by other hobbyists.

You might've noticed though that I'm speaking in past tense here. That's because I decided to go for something else entirely.

I found heavy duty bins at Home Hardware (not sure if that's Canadian and American or what) that are 36x24x8.

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/...tc_60l_36x24x8

Now yes, they are all black. However, someone on another forum used them very successfully in making a stellar rack by cutting out the fronts and attaching windows to them.

http://www.reptilescanada.com/forums...ighlight=rivet (if that's against TOS just delete the link and I will forward the link to whomever wants it via pm)

And I was going to follow these designs for my rack, more or less, with some customizations on how many units I put in and such.

http://www.strictlyballs.ca/snakerack.htm

In both cases my heat source I was looking at is heat tape.

Hope that helps somewhat.

If you're still thinking about the enclosures I think I might have my measurements/cuts that I could probably scan and forward to you scribbled out on paper somewhere. Just pm me (so I don't miss the reply in this thread as I often do with forums).

Cheers.
    --Stephan.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a
    koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate,
    I will save it." --Steve Irwin (1962-2006, RIP).

Stinkin' hot Tucson, AZ (it's somewhere between California and New Mexico).
    Thanks

Thanks for the post and the links!

Question; why not he use of melamine? I see several people say they wouldn't use it, others do. I know AP uses PVC for their tanks, but of course that rules it out for me - although I really haven't looked into it much yet. I don't have any CNC equipment though.
    Last edited by mrmertz; 04-06-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks

I have made, and am using, my own stackable BP cages. Here they are in use, with my dad's cat very interested in my pastel.

These were made with 3/4" plywood (exterior roof/wall type) and work like a dream. If you'd like specs on making them, I can PM ya the details.

And here are some other shots of them empty:

**Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

Christine (04-07-2010)

Thanks

I'd use melamine for my rack (to the specs of the link I listed above which compensate for humidity), but not for my enclosures. I don't think it would have as long of a lifespan as a properly sealed wood of a different type. And if I'm investing that level of time, effort and cash into an enclosure I want it to last. A few bad bowl flips/spills and you're in trouble with melamine. Just my opinion on the matter.
    --Stephan.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a
    koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate,
    I will save it." --Steve Irwin (1962-2006, RIP).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    I have made, and am using, my own stackable BP cages.
    How are you heating those???
    1.2 Frilled Dragons
    1.0.1 Blue Tongue Skinks
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Cornsnake
    0.0.3 Red Ackies
    1.0 Chinese Water Dragon
    www.frilled-dragon.com

Thanks

They have UTH pads installed under the vinyl flooring. The wood floors have holes drilled in where the pad sits for ventilation. In the future, I plan on making that area of the floor a trap door in case I need to get to the UTH to replace it.

I actually have a lot of ideas on the improvement of the design, like a window of plexi on the tops for lighting so they don't have to be in with the snakes, and will test them as soon as I live in my own home again and have the room to build.
    Last edited by Argentra; 04-08-2010 at 01:51 AM.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'