Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,139

3 members and 1,136 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cool Looking for Breeder in Medina, OH Area

Hey there all. I have done my homework (and alot of it I may add) and I am finally ready to get my 1st Ball Python. I would like to find a reputable breeder in the Medina or Summit County area of Ohio. I would like to find a slightly older Ball, maybe between 1 and 2 years old, perferably a normal pattern. All we really have is pet shops around here and I dont trust them as far as I can throw them LOL. Hope someone can help me. Thanxx in advance.

Thanks

Re: Looking for Breeder in Medina, OH Area

Hey Sinner!
    I used to live in Columbus, Ohio. I only know of a couple breeders up there in your area, but I believe they both mainly focus on boas.

However, there is a reptile show in Cleveland once every month---this month's is actually this coming Sunday! Here's the website: http://www.freewebs.com/shrz/index.htm

They also have a show in Columbus once a month. It's usually the same people... the Columbus show is held on Saturday, and the Cleveland show is held that Sunday.

This is probably your best bet for finding a BP. I've picked up a couple nice adults at the Columbus show in my time. If you're just looking for a pet, you might be able to find a snake that's up for adoption only... I picked up a beautiful female BP a year or so ago. She was probably a little over a year old, and the breeder was selling her for 60 bucks because she had a kinked spine and would never breed. She lives with another forum member now

Hope this helps...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Since you aren't looking for a hatchling you might consider seeing if you can get one from a rescue. I have no idea if there are any reptile rescues in your area. Maybe someone else can help with that.

I do not recommend you try to rescue one yourself since you don't have the experience to deal with the various problems a rescued snake might have. But getting one that has been rescued by someone that knows what they are doing and brought back into good health and established in a good feeding pattern should work out well.
    Casey

Thanks

I don't know of any rescues in Cleveland area... but there's a nice one in Cincy if you're willing to make the drive, and a couple in Pennsylvania.

Rescues very rarely have the resources to ship... or simply refuse to do so.

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any rescues in the Cleveland area. It's a shame...

There is one in Cincinnati (http://www.arrowheadreptilerescue.org/) as Lynn said and there is one in Sandusky that are accepting animals on a limited basis (the owner is having medical issues)(http://herphavenreptilerescue.org/), they might have some in need of homes.
    Layna

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you may want to see if
    http://www.freecycle.org/
    has something in your area that you can join.

i got one of my females from off this site.
    best of all FREE

Thanks

I live 20 minutes north west of cleveland and i dont know of any rescues besides the one in the for mentioned post. have you consider going throgh a breeder here that can ship. my first bought snake was from a breeder here and it was a normal female, and it was really inexpensive, you pay for the shipping which was more then the snake but at least i knew i was going to get a well taken care of animal.
    Joe

Thanks

If you don't end up going with a breeder who will ship (there are lots of great ones on this site.), then I suggest going to the Cleveland show. People I can think of that I highly recommend are Carl Aiken, Eric Erb (Platinum Reptiles/Reptile Tubs) or Tim Koppenhoffer of Special K. Tim is who I deal with quite a bit and he is always willing to spend time answering questions for a newbie. I know there are others who go there who are good too, but I go to the Columbus show so I am not sure who else goes to Cleveland. Good Luck!
    Ingrid
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

Just wondering, and it wasn't exactly covered in any books I read, but how do Balls deal with being shipped? I would imagine it would be rather stressful to them. If someone could point me in the direction of one it would be greatle appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catawhat75 View Post
    If you don't end up going with a breeder who will ship (there are lots of great ones on this site.), then I suggest going to the Cleveland show. People I can think of that I highly recommend are Carl Aiken, Eric Erb (Platinum Reptiles/Reptile Tubs) or Tim Koppenhoffer of Special K. Tim is who I deal with quite a bit and he is always willing to spend time answering questions for a newbie. I know there are others who go there who are good too, but I go to the Columbus show so I am not sure who else goes to Cleveland. Good Luck!
    Ingrid
    I forgot about Tim from Special K... definitely a good guy!

And shipping is pretty stressful on them... but a breeder of any worth will package well. Insulation on the inside, appropriately sized deli-cup or bag, heat pad or cool pad depending on the weather.

It is still recommended, however, that, once you receive your snake, you immediately put him in his tub/tank and leave him alone for a week to relax. Once he starts eating, then you can start with short handling periods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast