Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,961

3 members and 1,958 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: He ate!

Thanks

He ate!

Well, My baby boy just ate, this is only his 4th night here and he was trying to break into the container i was heating it in before it was even too warm, it was completely thawed though. I just dumped it onto a little plate and he struck after 30 seconds. He downed it all fine. It was a f/t fuzzy rat. I'm happy everything went well and surprised he ate that fast after I got him.

Perry.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: He ate!

Congrats on getting your new guy to eat! That's a good sign that they are settling in to their new home nicely.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you said about your snake trying to get the rat while it was warming up? I guess as long as the container was absolutely snake proof thawing it in the enclosure is ok, and would work as pre-scenting as well. Hopefully this is obvious, but a feeder that isn't fully thawed can be really bad for your snake. This is partly because they are cold-blooded, but somehow I think even if a human could handle a weeks worth of food all at once, if it was frozen when we ate it, that would cause problems for us too.

Once it is thawed most people put it under a heat lamp or blow dryer to get the heat signature up which encourages the snake to strike at it, and I wouldn't let my snake close to that process. The body temperature of a mouse or rat is supposed to be roughly 100 degrees, so that is what you should be aiming at, which is obviously too hot for the snake to be close to the heating process.
    Casey

Thanks

congratsThats always a great feeling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    Congrats on getting your new guy to eat! That's a good sign that they are settling in to their new home nicely.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you said about your snake trying to get the rat while it was warming up? I guess as long as the container was absolutely snake proof thawing it in the enclosure is ok, and would work as pre-scenting as well. Hopefully this is obvious, but a feeder that isn't fully thawed can be really bad for your snake. This is partly because they are cold-blooded, but somehow I think even if a human could handle a weeks worth of food all at once, if it was frozen when we ate it, that would cause problems for us too.

Once it is thawed most people put it under a heat lamp or blow dryer to get the heat signature up which encourages the snake to strike at it, and I wouldn't let my snake close to that process. The body temperature of a mouse or rat is supposed to be roughly 100 degrees, so that is what you should be aiming at, which is obviously too hot for the snake to be close to the heating process.

I know it was fully thawing for almost 24 hours in the fridge. I put it in a little sealed cup to let it warm/scent it. It wasn't 100 but probably around 85-90. It had been int he container for about 15 mins under the lamp and above the UTH. After he noticed it he came over from his cool side and started nudging it so i put it on the lid and put it outside his cool hide. It was very soft though so definitely fully thawed.

Perry.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

congrats on him feeding