Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

2 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Very Odd Feeding

Well little Darra (normal 07 female) has won the award for "oddest feeding" this week LOL. Darra likes to hunt from the top of her hide, it's a small blue bowl with the hole melted out of the "roof". I popped in her live prey and she got so over excited she started tipping her whole hide up as she coiled half in and half out the entrance. The silly little rat toddled right in under the hide. So I'm watching and Darra seems rather confused about where in heck her dinner went to.

So I figure okay, she's young, I'll give her a hand and I carefully reach in and gently tilt the hide enough so that the little rat toddles back out. I figure at this point Darra will get the idea. Nope, she gets all tense and excited and tips her hide up yet again, back under the hide goes little baby rat.

Now this is getting silly. I turn for a second to check Kennis who is the same size and housed next door to Darra. Kennis has done her job and has dinner firmly under control. I check back on Darra and seeing that the rat is still under her hide and she appears to be staring at me, I figure let's give it another try and let the rat out where she can see it. I tilt the hide gently and lo and behold, Darra's got it completely coiled in the bottom third of her body and is constricting away like mad. LOL Now I was standing close by and I know she never once went back inside that hide or eyeballed that rat in there. She just nailed it with the bottom third of her body!

I just went "oooops, scuse me", gently put the hide down again and left her to figure out how she's going to eat that rat she's holding on to with her tail while her head and about half her body is hanging out her roof. Silly snake, what a way to eat!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Very Odd Feeding

hahah very cute. did u finish watching to see how she got done with dinner?

Thanks

Yep I checked on her and watched as she squirmed, wriggled and finally managed to pop her coils and the now very dead little rat wrapped in them though that hole in her hide. What a laugh that was to watch that little determined snake. You'd think it would have been far easier to just let it go, drop down into the hide and snarf it down...but noooooooooooo....Darra's got to do things her way LOL. I just popped in to check her again and she's now on the floor of her enclosure, happily slurping down her rat.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

We want pics
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I want a working camera! All I could think, Joe, as I was watching the goofy snake is "dang I want pics of this!!!!"
    ~~Joanna~~