Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,476

2 members and 3,474 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How do you people house +10 ft long pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
    I had a custom 8' x 3' x 2' cage made by a local cage manufacturer here in Southern California, the same who made our other cages:

OMG. I want their number! I can't build anything, but I hate the look of the store-bought cages. I've always wanted tanks that look like built-ins.
    Christine

1.0 Hubby
    2.0 twin toddlers
    0.1 Bearded Dragon "Bebe"
    0.1 Normal BP "Lacey"
    ~ we now have a gender balance in our house ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burmmamma View Post
    We use visions until they outgrow them then its on to homemade cages. Our first homemade cage 8x4x4. The cost varies on what you use and where you buy the materials. We house our 13 burms in the same room so its very easy to control the temp and humidity.
    i know albinoburmese.com has a little put together plan of building a cage but, its a little on the expensive side. got any designs that ya mind to share that arent so $$$. i looked at visions and such and i dont like the designs.
    ~Chris~
    Snakes have blood, feal fear, breathe air, eat food, drink water, reproduce, and they happen to live in a body which is difficult for the average person to understand. One fears what one doesn't understand. ignorance creates fear. The fear of snakes is not cultivated…we are not born with it…children love snakes, just as naturally as they love dogs and cats. don’t be afraid of a reptile’s tongue…the only animal that can hurt you with its tongue is the human being.

Thanks

Would an Animal Plastic's T70 comfortably house an adult male burm?
    0.1 RTB (BCI)
    1.1 Hogg Island Boa
    1.0 Argentine Boa
    1.0 Ball Python
    0.1 Western Hognose
    0.1 Sumatran Blood Python
    0.1 Sumatran Short Tail Python
    1.0 KSB

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J32A2 View Post
    Would an Animal Plastic's T70 comfortably house an adult male burm?
    Absolutely-thats an 8 foot-would be perfect.

Thanks

Granted our female boa isn't in the 10 foot range (she's about 8.5 to 9 feet long...anyone want to volunteer to actually come help me measure her LOL). Anyways, we took an idea from a friend of ours that rescues adult Green Iguana's and rehabbed an unused interior walk-in closet into a mult-level home for our big boa.

The closet is 6 x 3.5 x 9 feet so she's got oodles of room to climb and hang out. It features a basking shelf with a protected heat source for cooler evenings or when she wants extra heat for digestion. It's right in our livingroom so she can check out the goings on in the house or retreat back into the depths of her home if she's in need of some privacy out of view of our busy household. The door was changed from a regular solid wood door to one with two cutouts - one with plexiglass for viewing and to help retain heat and humidity and a lower cut out with rubberized hardware cloth to allow for good ventilation.

Because we have children, the door is padlocked. Only my husband and I hold the keys. She's not a huge snake but she isn't a snake we want let out unless we are both present in the house.

The floor is hardwood so it's protected with a couple of layers of the black rubber/plastic stuff you use to make outside decorative ponds.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Granted our female boa isn't in the 10 foot range (she's about 8.5 to 9 feet long...anyone want to volunteer to actually come help me measure her LOL). Anyways, we took an idea from a friend of ours that rescues adult Green Iguana's and rehabbed an unused interior walk-in closet into a mult-level home for our big boa.

The closet is 6 x 3.5 x 9 feet so she's got oodles of room to climb and hang out. It features a basking shelf with a protected heat source for cooler evenings or when she wants extra heat for digestion. It's right in our livingroom so she can check out the goings on in the house or retreat back into the depths of her home if she's in need of some privacy out of view of our busy household. The door was changed from a regular solid wood door to one with two cutouts - one with plexiglass for viewing and to help retain heat and humidity and a lower cut out with rubberized hardware cloth to allow for good ventilation.

Because we have children, the door is padlocked. Only my husband and I hold the keys. She's not a huge snake but she isn't a snake we want let out unless we are both present in the house.

The floor is hardwood so it's protected with a couple of layers of the black rubber/plastic stuff you use to make outside decorative ponds.
    Do you have any pictures of this setup? Sounds incredible!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of this setup? Sounds incredible!

i second this!
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks

Let me see what I can dig out. We're still in the processing of tweaking this enclosure. Our original concept for her climbing stuff didn't work out since Miss Big Butt was too heavy for it LOL.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Okay this is what we started out with. It was really just a junk gathering, walk-in coat closet in our livingroom. It's an interior closet so no cold walls and the walls are solid, not something that would fall apart if a big snake leaned on it LOL. We live btw in a 100 year old home so they knew how to build things right back then.

The closet is a rectangle with most of the space to your left when you open the door. The inside dimensions are 3.5 feet deep x 6 feet wide x 9 feet high. The floor is hardwood.

The original door (it's solid wood, this is a must)....

After doing the four cut-outs.....

We then covered the top two cutouts in one large piece of plexiglass (the wood between the cutouts becoming a brace and helping to strength the plex). This allows Tequila to lay on her high basking shelf and have light coming into her home and be able to see out but helps trap rising heat and humidity.

We did the bottom two cut outs in one large piece of rubber coated 1/4" hardware cloth, again using the pre-existing door design to brace and attach the cloth to. This lower meshed opening allows for ventilation to enter the enclosure. Tequila often coming to her mesh to check us out. Both our dog and cat have done some nose to flicking tongue greets with her and it's pretty funny stuff (yes we are closely monitoring this and no they can't actually get in physical contact with each other ).

Bella the Lab checking out Tequila and her new digs.

The door completed (lock and light not installed yet in this pic). It's a solid door because a powerful snake needs that sort of thing. Because we have children we do have this door padlocked at all times. Only my husband and I have the keys to this lock. We don't want our kids to make a poor choice and allow Tequila out when we aren't home. She's never shown us any aggression but we want our children to respect her size and power so this is best for Tequila and for them.

The original two high shelves were redone into one large, reinforced shelf. It is about 5 feet off the ground and it's Tequila's favorite place to relax. Here she is snoozing under the glow of her heat lamp.

We built a safety frame around her heat lamp and installed it at the highest point above her basking shelf. The cord is secured and leads out of her enclosure to a closeby outlet. We can easily flick on her heat if she needs it for digestion or just if the livingroom is a bit cool in the evening.

The floor is covered with a thick layer of pond rubber/plastic. We also put a piece of wood as a kickplate across the inside of the doorway so bedding did not slip out (there's a slight gap between the bottom of the door and the hardwood). This was also covered in the pool lining. On top of this lining is a thick layer of cypress mulch.

This is Tequila's big water dish. It's actually a plastic super sized planter saucer that I found at Home Depot for about $6.00. It helps to keep her enclosure at a nice humidity due to it's large surface area, Tequila occasionally likes to flop in it for a quick puddle around and of course it allows her access to lots of water to drink.

I don't have any current pics of her climbing tree but I'll try to get more next week (camera batteries are toast after taking some pics last night)

Here's the big girl that lives in the closet LOL (pictured with a good friend of ours who originally showed me this closet enclosure idea for large iguana's).

Pics from last night.....

Tequila having a post-feeding drink (taken from outside her enclosure through the mesh).

Isn't that a face to love! She's such a big but gentle girl and we just adore her! She'd just eaten and was having a drink but didn't mind in the least me snapping a few quick pictures of her. Shortly afterwards she went off up to her basking shelf for a snooze under her lamp (she's still there this morning, the big happy lump o snake LOL)

Last edited by frankykeno; 06-26-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

dude where is the clapping smile thing when you need it!

very cool idea.
    if i ever get a big boa i want to make a walk in cage =]
    they are super cool =]
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast