Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,371

2 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: new to beardeds!

ok, i just read that the 2.0 is pretty much garbage for desert animals.. looks like were going out tomorrow to get them a new uvb light! I did put the 75watt light in there right now, were waiting to see what it does for temps

Thanks

LOL, thats some mighty big cages you'll be needing. I believe the recommendations for a large beardie are 50 gallons approx. But there are some very cool setups you can do with a large enclosure, I loved the one in reptiles magazine recently. VERY COOL

Anyways, what did the breeder decide was wrong with him? And why would you take on 2 more beardies when you still aren't sure this is the guy to buy from? I would be cautious in the first place if he sold you a visibly sick animal.

Thanks

well, i had to get at least one from him in place of the one i bought origionally, and the man sold us the second for only $35 when my husband and i couldnt decide on the same *one* thus two. im actually in the process of posting another thread asking what the alternatives are to an actual tank seeing how heavy they can get... off to start new thread. I am weary from buying from him but he is trying to make good on the one we got that was not doing well, hes not sure what is wrong with him but we are going to keep in contact, and if he thinks he can make more money off us im sure he will answer my calls (earlier when we were just complaining about our already sick animal he wasnt so quick to answer) if the animals are fine, and i can get our spartan back ill be thrilled, con man/poor breeder/exc. i just want my animal to be better.

Thanks

Why did you have to buy another one from him? Is that the only way he would take back the sick male? I'm not accusing you of anything, but this breeder is setting up to be pretty shady IMO.

Thanks

oh i understand. no, he asked if we wanted him to "take care of" spartan until we could get him back and i said no, we want a replacement when spartan gets better we will buy him from you again at the same price if need be but no your not going to take our dragon and our money, how do we know we will ever get him back. as for getting the second, i couldnt turn down $35 for an adorable baby, from what i found out after purchasing spartan, the man was under fire awhile back for paperwork on something (see the thread reg gold coast reptiles) in the inquiry forum at the bottom of the home page..

Thanks

Are you talking about boi? This is what I found on BOI if you havent already. I think it's about the legal documents that your referring to. I've just snatched a few glances myself, so I wont lead you either way. But I would continue to be cautious with him, and maybe ask to see his other animals to see how they are housed and how well fed they are. He may have gotten better since this BOI thread.
    http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...coast+reptiles

Thanks

yes, i did see that. his name is craig tillman (Something like that) he was very friendly and we did see some of his stock on sunday at the expo. he did get into trouble, i knew that he no long has his shop he once had either. he and i met at a central location, that was shadey to me but i know he runs this out of his home (not sure its legal in the state of fla) i respect that, he asked me what kind of animals i wanted to see today and i asked him to only bring the dragons, he let me know he would bring a bin of them (i expected) so i could choose between a group. he brought me well over a dozen, all looked great, clean and well fed (much more alert and fat then spartan) so in that sense, did he clean up his act. maybe, maybe not im sure there is no way to know for sure as he didnt invite us to go to his home (im glad too i wouldnt have gone in anyway.. i just dont do that with people i dont *know*)

sometimes you just dont know, i feel if hes good on his word with taking care of spartan then hopefully i can have a good experience with him. the other animals (im sure he picked the best i dont doubt that and dont blame him either) we saw at the expo were for sale and very healthy and vibrant.. and thats even by comparasin to the other animals at the expo, not just what we expect of different species.

(wow totally got off topic there))

Thanks

Well I really do hope these girls work out for you. At least you know that you will be providing VAST amounts of better care and love.

Thanks

i sure hope so.. if nothing else i do have a reputation for giving proper care to my animals, often going above and beyond the call of "nessesary"!

my rats reside in a 5'+ x 3.5' cage with handmade hammocks and resting cubes, my male was neutered so he didnt have to live alone lol if that tells you anything..im looking forward to many years with these girls (at least..hopefully spartan can come home eventually too )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I breed beardies and do not sell them until they are well established as you would any hatchling animal. Someone wanted to buy a whole bunch from me to take to NARBC in Ilinois but I won't sell them for weeks more. I do go into pet stores all the time and see newborns for sale which is not good for survival odds.

It sounds like the second batch of beardies he showed you were larger and more established which means you should be in better shape. Not having proper lighting on a baby and moving him around alot before he is established is a good recipe for a problem. Lighting and proper heat are very important for babies. I have 20 hatchlings now and they are all eating 3 times a day at least and misted or soaked twice a day. They are alot more work than snakes (for example)so some people just move them out before they should. I have bred and kept beardies for over 12 years and see it all the time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234