Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

3 members and 3,307 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

new to beardeds!

well, hubby and i made it to the expo and he absolutly fell in love with the bearded dragons.. so after a trip home to set up we went back and he picked out this lovely baby (thankfully we had spare tank and lights) .. here are a couple pics as well. hes eating well very social and doesnt mind being held at all. we got him from the place "gold coast reptiles" i feel as though i recognise the name but could be mistaken...we have decided to name "him" spartan, seems like a good name. so what would you describe "his" color to be? on the bill of sale they labelled him "red" but upon looking online it doesnt seem that way to me, but then again im new to them...

intoducing spartan

are there any good websites i should refrence for caresheets? like which veggies are good? what about these crickets.. we got 1000 from them (got a whole box) i let about half of them go on accident upon moving them over to a more perminant home, goodness gracious glad i did that outside!

Thanks

Re: new to beardeds!

I suggest go to www.BeardedDragons.org for any questions you have and they have care sheets, and heres a goos food sheet for plants: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...nframeset.html what to eat and what not to eat. As for the crickets- I would say go to petsmart or somewhere and get a big cricket keeper, it makes it ALOT better, trust me!!
    And to me he looks like a Sand Fire morph to me personaly, but people at BD.org would probably know more. Have fun with him- their all a tripp!! lol
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

thanks! thats very helpful. the people did tell us the "bin" we got him out of were not the "normals" so to speak.. the "normals" just werent as brillant looking very dull brown/beige looking, we paid a bit more but was totally worth it to get the more nicer looking critter, they were all super nice and good looking weight wise. I have one of those small animal/hermit crab/beta fish type containers right now and i just know its going to be a bear to get crickets in/out of.. grr looks like were going shopping again here soon lol. hes a trip, he just did this sort of spastic jump all over siezure thing off the log, whats up with that lol

ack that first website didnt work

Thanks

Oh it will get more interesting- trust me!! lol. I just suggest, for obvious reasons, dont let any of your snakes (assuming you have at least one lol) by him- my BD FLIPS when Im even just soaking my snakes. And he has ALOT of personality. but yea, you might want to get used to shopping alot now that you have one, but its worth it
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

ok, it is www.beardeddragon.org not plural.. i tried posting an intro there and its not working actually we do not have snakes right now, we had two nice balls caution and savanna but my husband and i really got attached to our rats and we couldnt bear feeding the same thing to our snakes, so they got a great home at my moms house with my sister who doesnt mind feeding them. i still get to see them grow/exc without the pull of heartstrings watching them eat. our house went from two snakes to nine rats. lol... thus why we have smaller reptiles now. i couldnt bear giving up the hobby all together.

Thanks

Oh oops, sorry- I never have to type it, its just on my favorites and I pull it up. lol. And yea I know what you mean- Ive always fed mice and had no problem with it, but my female just started on med. rats about two months ago- and I bonded with the first rat... I felt so guilty because I had no room to keep it, thanks to the rest of my animals (lol), so I had to feed it to her I called my friend first though because she used to have pet rats, but her the people shes living with said no. I still feel bad- thinking of switching to thawed because then I cant bond with them.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

spartan is really a neat laid back little critter!! just watches everything haha, i did want to mentain spartan is 14g, considerably bigger than our crested we just got.

Thanks

wellll, i still havnt seen this guy *eat* a cricket yet.. however i did put some romaine lettuce in with some cantelope (what we had on hand) in there and from what it looks like maybe some of the romaine was missing. i removed the wilted stuff and replaced with fresh this afternoon. i was able to give him a nice drink, i dripped some water on the front part of his head and he actually licked a good bit of it off. i contacted his "breeder" and he wants me to give him another day before calling him back on whether or not he starts to eat. ((kinda pi$$ed me off)) aside from the good long drink he still only weighs 14g. he is however moving around alot right now.. almost climbing the sides of the tank, like hes trying to get out. is it possible the 10 gal is too small for him already? (hes tiny!) i have been told on another site that no bearded should ever be housed in a 10 gal at any age but his breeder and a few other sites say its ok! opinions on this would be GREAT cause if its too small pay day will get hit with having to buy a new tank and lid tomorrow (any ideas where i can get one at a better price) he did just do a NIIIICE urate (lovely lol) in his tank so thats good, at least there is waste passing in that department. hes super docile and friendly.. even lets me pose him lol... i put him on the palm of my hand on his back (sitting position) and he stayed put, was pretty humorous to me. here are a couple new pics

nice colored baby (imo)

at least you can reference how small he is with my hand... i know some pics are deceiving. also, there are two black circles on the back of his head, whats up with that? is it just normal coloring

you can also see how thin he is and how big his head is compared to his body

Thanks

From 6 weeks to 3 months old:
    Your dragon will do best in a smaller enclosure. If you have the resources, then you should raise your hatchling dragon in a 10-30 gallon tank until he gets bigger. If you already have a big tank then you may want to partition off a smaller section for your dragon.

The tank should be bare for a young dragon. Babies can get lost in a large or extremely elaborate tank with lots of beardie furiniture. They may not be able to find the basking spot easily, and if there are too many places to hide they may not get enough heat or UVB exposure.
    http://www.kakadudragons.com/caresheet/caresheet.php
    example of where i got that from

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

He definately looks like he has red coloring. His back looks like it might be in shed. Beardies don't always shed evenly and sometimes comes of in parts. There are degrees of red some have more some less but it definately looks like less when in shed. Since he is pretty small you may want to try feeding him 5-6 crickets at a time so not to freak him out or overwelm him. Also you may want to remove hides and branches when feeding so the crickets don't hide and you can keep track of what he ate. He may need to settle in a little before he starts to eat. You want to make sure his temps get into the upper 90's lower 100's during the day, that will get his metabolism going and make him eat. Try not handling him for a few days so he settles in ( I know it's tough, they are so dam cute). he should have a good appetite at his age but as adults they slow down on eating since they are not growing so fast. Beardies make great pets and should be years of fun. If he is pooping then he is eating so check for that too. As far as black circles you show it in pics? You're not talking about his earholes I assume.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast