Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,074

5 members and 3,069 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I got my first Crested!!!

Congrats, he is a little cutie Just wait you will have many many more lol.

I Love the fall colors in the cage too thats awesome.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy
    Congrats, he is a little cutie Just wait you will have many many more lol.

I Love the fall colors in the cage too thats awesome.
    thanks lol.. i did a fall photo shoot with my kids and the pet rats and had the leaves laying around once fall is over ill most likely trash them. i am looking forward to this baby getting bigger and eventually adding to our group

emily, perhaps he was so inexpensive due to his size? they wanted $35 for the small one they showed me first (not the bad looking hatchling)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

don't mix the cgd with baby food for now. he may eat it fine by itself with a little encouragement. what i do is mix some up and use a small baby sized spoon to feed them out of. get him out and let him sit on the edge of the kritter keeper. while he is sitting there hold the spoon up and dab a little of the food onto his nose. when he starts to lick it off keep holding the spoon there so he can lick more out of the spoon. the first time or two that you try this he might want nothing to do with it, but usually by the second or third time they start to understand that you are giving them food. it will be a little messy and he will jump into the spoon, so be prepared.

he was probably inexpensive because of his size and because he was probably purchased wholesale in a large group of hatchlings. people that sell cresteds (and other reptiles) that way aren't looking to grow the gecko up for a few months and then sell it based on its individual color, morph, quality or genetics--its more about moving large numbers of animals.
    - Emily

Thanks

Ok, I will give that a try with the cgd and see how it goes. i do know they are looking to move critters but usually (Even petco) sells them for upwards of $50 I do have a 7day guarentee on it so we will see how it goes. Whats sad is there was someone there asking how difficult it was to care for them (asking the sales girl) and she said it can be easy, they went on to ask what they eat and she replied "crickets and baby food" i rolled my eyes and spoke up, it depends who you talk to they should be on a proper diet and it doesnt mean they have to eat crickets. she wasnt pleased with that answer i could tell by the look on her face, she just exclaimed back "yeah depends who you talk to" real nice! anyway.. the little baby is in the critter keeper.. it is however a mini.. is that too small? i can always run out and get one slightly larger.

thanks so much!!!

update: i did give him a bit of that cgd and he had a couple licks but was uninterested after that and started flicking his tail (guess thats a mad sign?) i left him alone now with a cap of food and cap of water, i dont want him to get too stressed out
    Last edited by ADEE; 10-12-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

depends on who you talk to? how about the herpetologists who brought the first cresteds to the US from new caledonia and have since become the top crested and rhac breeders in the world? i guess they wouldn't know, now would they?

anyhoo, i use small kritter keepers for pairs of hatchlings (granted they aren't as small as yours). i think the mini will do for now, but next time you go out pick up a small--he should be fine in that for the next several months.
    - Emily

Thanks

wow, next several months?! it will honestly be that long before he can move into a 10gal wow should i turn it upright?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB
    update: i did give him a bit of that cgd and he had a couple licks but was uninterested after that and started flicking his tail (guess thats a mad sign?) i left him alone now with a cap of food and cap of water, i dont want him to get too stressed out
    a couple of licks is good! a lot of times the first time you try to give it to them they just want to jump all over and will shake their heads to get it out of their mouth if they do lick some up. tail waving or flicking is a sign that they are irritated, so best that you put him back after that. since he did have a few licks i'd leave him be for the rest of today and try a little more hand feeding tomorrow.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee

(granted they aren't as small as yours.
    is he really that small or is it that hes severely underweight? i cant believe if hes that young... i cant begin to imagine how old the others were!

as far as the tail flicking, i figured that was a defensive move on his part. glad i put him back, he has also opened his mouth at me a couple times so leaving him alone at this point was certainly the plan lol..how long before i should fuss with him again, is it the same with snakes?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB
    wow, next several months?! it will honestly be that long before he can move into a 10gal wow should i turn it upright?
    if he starts eating well and growing you can put him in the 10 gallon turned horizontally when he's 3-4 months old, just watch that he finds his food okay once you move him. at 6-8 months you can probably turn it vertically.

EDIT: some people start their cresteds in 10 gallon tanks and it works fine, i just prefer to use something smaller so i can better monitor them and know that they are getting enough food.
    - Emily

Thanks

thanks emily for all your help, i did want to add your critters (snakes, kitty, cresteds, exc) are absolutly beautiful!! i cant get over your balls and cresteds.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast