Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

3 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

I got my first Crested!!!

finally!! pics and info to come shortly

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I got my first Crested!!!

congrats, but we're going to need more information!
    - Emily

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yea!!!! congrats.. But you can't leave us hanging like this...... PICSSSSS
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Lol.. i know im working on it. i wanted to weigh "him" but i want to also get him settled in his enclosure. I got him from BenSiegels (a nono i know) .. heres how it happened. my husband has known i wanted one, for quite some time actually. There is an expo coming to our town this Sunday and I gave him the heads up that if they had any i would most certainly want one. He okayed it. Well I got ahold of the people who run the expo and they said there would be no breeders/suppliers with the cresteds going.. so of course I called my husband back pouting that I wouldnt get my dream reptile.. he told me to call up Bens and see if they had any.. so i made the 30minute drive up there and they had a handful of different ones ranging from hatching up. When I got there they actually took the hatchling to the back cause it didnt "look good" and handed me this tiny other baby that was terribly skinney. I told them I didnt want one that small and asked to see whatelse they had. she came back with two more a bit bigger and i reached right out at the one in her right hand and held it (LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT) she asked if i wanted to see the other one and i replied "nope this is the one"... thus my first crested. "He" only cost me $40... really inexpensive compared to other places here local. Hes a bit underweight (IMO) and she told me all they were feeding it were crickets and baby food (a regular staple ive read) well i picked up "sandfire super foods" crested gecko diet by t-rex for him.. so when should i put some food in there for him? Also, should i mist the leaves now or later? i feel as though with all the research i have done my brain just went to moosh!

also, hes gonna need a name too.. any clever ideas?

pics to come in a moment

also, "hes" awfully red on his belly/throat is that typical or just his color?
    Last edited by ADEE; 10-12-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks

ok, so "he" weighs .04g I weighed "him" inside the container he came in and then weighed the container empty.. so thats what "he" is.. told you tiny!

on with the pics

festive for fall..

i think "his" little flecks are adorable

teeny tiny

my fav pic!

"he" is really jumpy is that typical? do they calm down eventually?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

WEEEEEEE Creaties.....

Looks like a cute little gipper
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Yeah, the little ones are jumpy... but he'll calm down with some handling and with age.

Looks like the coloring on the belly and throat is normal... he looks like a light creamy harly to me, but who knows? He may fire up and get real dark, lol.

Yay for sticky feet!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

holy cow--.04 grams? and they had ones that were smaller?!? (okay, i'm just going to go ahead and contain myself and not have my head explode onto your nice pretty thread.)

so anyhow, go ahead and put some of the cgd in for him now and mist his enclosure well. you may have to hand feed him the cgd to get him to take it at first since he is used to baby food. go very light on cricket feedings for the first few weeks so that he can get used to eating the cgd and not rely on crickets for food as they don't contain all of the nutrients he needs.

consider putting him in a small or medium kritter keeper for now, especially while you are getting him established on cgd. he is very little and will need all the help he can get finding his food.

the red on his chin and belly is referred to as blushing and is common in cresteds. when he fires up it likely gets much darker/brighter red.

hatchlings are jumpy but they do calm down with regular handling (and hand feeding), however i recommend not handling too much until they are 2-3 months old. before that they are more delicate and tend to leap out into nothingness (which means they may hit the floor hard) out of fear and just plain hatchling jumpiness.
    - Emily

Thanks
    Blog Entries

oh and one more thing-he is CUTE!
    - Emily

Thanks

thank you emily that was very helpful i will go ahead and move him over now into a considerably smaller enclosure. i was just looking at him going, wow im never going to see him in that huge thing lol. he is TINY and yes, the one they showed me first was CONSIDERABLY SMALLER.. and the other one they took away that didnt "look good" was so small it wasnt funny. im glad then i took the bigger of the group.

would it be better to mix his food powder with baby food for now? i have a baby who had left over jars so that wouldnt be a problem. do i hold the bottle cap in front of him or place him in front of the cap? should i try to hold him while i feed him?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast