Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

4 members and 3,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Might be Buying BP, help?

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I recently found an ad for a BP on craigslist. Here is the text of the ad:
    We have a 4 ft. long Ball Python That we recently just took in due to an emergency, but we can't care for him due to limited space and money. He comes with a 55 gallon tank, light, water dish, bedding, house, and climbing vines, All that's necessary to keep him happy and healthy. We would like a re-homeing fee of $80 or the best offer we get. We're only asking for a re-homing fee so that it can go to helping our friends with their emergency. email for pictures and details about this friendly and loving snake.
    I emailed and asked what he ate and for more details. They said he was very friendly and easy to handle. He's about 2 1/2 years old. The problem is he only eats live rats. He also has some weird scarring down his back that they said he had when their friend got him about a year ago.

Here he is:
    http://aduthler.googlepages.com/004.JPG
    http://aduthler.googlepages.com/005.JPG
    http://aduthler.googlepages.com/0012.JPG

So do you think this is a good idea? What else should I ask about? What could have cause his scarring? Could it be an issue? Is it possible to switch him over to f/t? What would I need to do to his enclosure to make it ideal? Does he look alright aside from his back?

Anything else that could help?

Thank you very, very much in advance.

Thanks

Re: Might be Buying BP, help?

Personally i would pass. if you do want a BP they are not hard to find from good breeders.
    0.3 wild type ball
    0.1 spider ball
    1.0 bumblebee (spider x pastel)

Thanks

I would hesitate as well in buying that BP.

I am definately not experienced in BP injuries, but from seeing other pics, it kinda looks like that scar is from a burn. But I may be totally wrong.

From the setup that he has been living in, as well as the scar, it seems to me that he has not been living in an ideal environment. This could mean future health problems for this guy. So unless you have some experience with rescue type BP's and are willing to possibly spend a bit at a qualified herp vet, I would pass. And please I am not trying to sound mean or harsh, I am just saying that that BP may be a little more than what you are expecting. I would go with a breeder as well, but that is only my opinion.
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

Thats one nasty scar. If you can find a reptile show close to you, buy on there. You can buy them all day long for $25 or less. Spend the rest on a tub set up. I hate to see an animal with that kind of injury. It looks like it got the burn from an incandesant light. Thats my suggestion. Good luck, no matter what you decide.
    * Jason *

lots of Bps

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

As the others are saying, I would advise that if you want to get a BP, get one from a breeder. If you get that one, and try to keep it in that set-up, you'll end up struggling to get your temps and humidity correct, and end up spending a lot more on equipment before you are able to keep it stable.

Instead, you can get a tub set-up fairly inexpensively. There are lots of threads on this board talking about how to do it. Then find a reptile show near you, and you'll be able to buy a hatchling for $25 or maybe less (we got ours for $20). This way you'll end up with a healthy snake with no scars and get to watch it grow up.

Thanks

Thank you very much. I think I will pass on him. I've been looking for a reptile show around here, but not having much luck. Could someone point me in the direction of a reptile show in the twin cities? Wisconsin or Kansas or Western Missouri would work too.

Thanks

Poor bp. I would like to take that bp in to rehabilitate him. so sad. Its going to take a lot of work and money to fix(deworm, sickness, etc).

On the other hand it is cheaper to find one online or at the shows.
    -Linh
    0.1 Sumatran Stp
    1.0 Pastel BP

Thanks

There is a reptile show in early November in Wisconsin (sp). Here's the link to Kingsnake.com's events page where the show is listed.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=27&de=537730

Thanks

Well you'd already be doing the rescue company a favor by taking this BP off their hands. The fact that they're explaining away a "special homing fee" sounds like they're trying to justify it when it is completely unnecessary. Check craigslist and you'll find people giving them away, and in better condition. Good luck, you'll love your new ball when you find one.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -Albert Einstein

Thanks

Alot of rescue places ask for a homing/adoption fee. It helps them look after the rest of the animals that they have rescued.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast