Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

0 members and 3,073 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

View Poll Results: What kind of snake should my friend get?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corn Snake*

8 29.63%
  • Garter Snake

1 3.70%
  • Kingsnake*

5 18.52%
  • Hognose Snake

2 7.41%
  • Something else

11 40.74%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What kind of snake should my friend get?

First Mech,

I told you about your attitude last night and now you are getting it again from completely different people. Could it just be that with that being the case, you indeed are the problem.

I think you are a kid 14ish to perhaps 19ish and you are at a point were you think you know more then you do. I also think you are making a real effort to fit in here, you are posting a lot and at times seem to be streatching to even find something to post about. That is fine I work with young people EVERY chance I get and I was working with snakes at 8 and handling some hots at 12 so I do remember what it is like to be a kid and not taken completely seriously.

That said you need to get off your attitude or no one is going to bother posting in response to you.

Now in spite of this I am going to give you my opinion.

All the snakes on your list are more then fine for a beginner if the person gets all the equipment that is needed and commits to keeping the animal long term and understands the cost of keeping the animal.

Honestly all the first snake stuff is kind of pointless as long as you stay away from the big stuff. (Boas, Retics, Burms, Condas, etc) and off the stuff with advanced issues (rainbow boas, ATBs, GTPs, etc). The only other caution which is not common in pet stores is staying off the rear fanged colubrids as a first snake such as False Water Cobras, Mangroves, Telescopus, and various cat eyed snakes. They are actually all easy to keep and like Madagascar Cat Eyes are very hardy and very gentle still I don't think even they are good as a true first snake and require some understanding of husbandry you can only get from a practicle application.

You can't go wrong with corns, kings and milks. If you can't manage to keep one of them going then you don't really need to keep any snake. Bulls , Pines and Gophers are also fine for the new person so long as they are willing to provide a bigger viv. Same with all the common rat snakes.

90% of Colubrids could have identical care sheets with the exception of enclosure size so the best first snake is which ever of the easy species that your friend finds is most attractive to them. I would advise NO RUSH, go to a few shops, handle a few snakes and then go home and think about it.

Of course Ball Pythons are also very good beginner snakes, if you get one that is feeding well and provide the right temps they are pretty damn easy to care for.

People are trying to help you dude, chill out, stop and read a few dozen threds and LEARN the way of this forum. A forum is just like any social sceen, you don't come in with attitude you learn the tone of the place and adapt to it,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonheki
    \(if u get this 1 get a lavenader 1 or and uniqe 1 i forgot the name of it lol but he has black and white and cool stripes)\
    I think the kings you are talking about are either Banana California, Reverse Stripped, or California Stripped.

As for the question about good beginner snakes I would say king, corn, or ball. Since I don't have a snake yet, I can't say from experience, but I am researching a lot on which snake needs what, other possible snakes, affordability, going to reptile shows and handling snakes that I may get in the future.
    Wanted Snakes and Lizards
    cornsnake, kingsnake, garter, rosy boa, ball python, ratsnake, Bearded Dragon, Green Anole
    How many I can have until I get out of college:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonheki
    ....(if u do getr a ball get a black 1 thoes are reallllyyyy cool !!)....
    Maybe its a Super Cinnamon Bonheki is referring to?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell
    Maybe its a Super Cinnamon Bonheki is referring to?
    It is, but its just funny the way he words his posts. Like internet sign language or something....

Thanks

Corns are a great starter snake. Many morphs are availiable. Kings are good starters also. I don't have a BP yet but plan on one soon. As a side note in Ohio it is illegal to own venomous or any indigenous species without a permit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjspirko
    First Mech,

I told you about your attitude last night and now you are getting it again from completely different people. Could it just be that with that being the case, you indeed are the problem.

I think you are a kid 14ish to perhaps 19ish and you are at a point were you think you know more then you do. I also think you are making a real effort to fit in here, you are posting a lot and at times seem to be streatching to even find something to post about. That is fine I work with young people EVERY chance I get and I was working with snakes at 8 and handling some hots at 12 so I do remember what it is like to be a kid and not taken completely seriously.

That said you need to get off your attitude or no one is going to bother posting in response to you.

All the snakes on your list are more then fine for a beginner if the person gets all the equipment that is needed and commits to keeping the animal long term and understands the cost of keeping the animal.

Honestly all the first snake stuff is kind of pointless as long as you stay away from the big stuff. (Boas, Retics, Burms, Condas, etc) and off the stuff with advanced issues (rainbow boas, ATBs, GTPs, etc). The only other caution which is not common in pet stores is staying off the rear fanged colubrids as a first snake such as False Water Cobras, Mangroves, Telescopus, and various cat eyed snakes. They are actually all easy to keep and like Madagascar Cat Eyes are very hardy and very gentle still I don't think even they are good as a true first snake and require some understanding of husbandry you can only get from a practicle application.

You can't go wrong with corns, kings and milks. If you can't manage to keep one of them going then you don't really need to keep any snake. Bulls , Pines and Gophers are also fine for the new person so long as they are willing to provide a bigger viv. Same with all the common rat snakes.

90% of Colubrids could have identical care sheets with the exception of enclosure size so the best first snake is which ever of the easy species that your friend finds is most attractive to them. I would advise NO RUSH, go to a few shops, handle a few snakes and then go home and think about it.

Of course Ball Pythons are also very good beginner snakes, if you get one that is feeding well and provide the right temps they are pretty damn easy to care for.

People are trying to help you dude, chill out, stop and read a few dozen threds and LEARN the way of this forum. A forum is just like any social sceen, you don't come in with attitude you learn the tone of the place and adapt to it,
    I'm new here. I'm not exactly used to these forums yet. END OF THIS DISCUSSION about my personality! Lets discuss what this is SUPPOSED to be about.
    Herps I own: 0.1 Northern Brown Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MechWarrior
    that's a pretty futile and way-too-cautious precaution in my state as almost any snake from the store is %100 legal (there are nearly NO restrictions).
    Don't assume because your pet store sells it that it's legal for you to OWN it. I'm in GA. They sell corn snakes at Petco - they are illegal to own in GA without a permit.

Take a deep breath and don't get so upset with people who are only trying to help you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsst
    Corns are a great starter snake. Many morphs are availiable. Kings are good starters also. I don't have a BP yet but plan on one soon. As a side note in Ohio it is illegal to own venomous or any indigenous species without a permit.
    If you haven't noticed all the snakes I have listed are non-venomous begginer snakes. If there is a problem with owning a non-native snake, only the Hognose and C. Kingsnake would be a problem (because Garters and Corns are native to my state).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    Don't assume because your pet store sells it that it's legal for you to OWN it. I'm in GA. They sell corn snakes at Petco - they are illegal to own in GA without a permit.

Take a deep breath and don't get so upset with people who are only trying to help you.
    This is why I think so many over react to the GA law! So where is the GA DER? Why are they not raiding Petco's and freeing lavender corn snakes?

raber, don't take this personal! I am not being a scarastic menace in response to you personally, it is just that the information you just provided proves my point about GA and corns, kings, etc.

No one from the GA government is comming to your house to fine you for an amel corn snake. Call them and tell them and they MIGHT, call and ask if it is ok to keep them and they WILL and MUST say it is not.

I would not hesitate to keep any snake in GA PERSONALLY. I would keep good documentation and fight any thing that ever came of it.

NOTE - That is not "advice" just my personal view on the matter. The GA law was never intended to ban the sale of captive bred animals, it was poorly written and no one in the GA government currently cares enough to correct it. If I live in GA I would be writing my state officials once a day and that last part is advice,

Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjspirko
    First Mech,

I'll break it to you that I'm not at that age b/c I'm not that kind of teen. I'm a Yeshiva Bochur (people who aren't like those average teenagers), and I'm sorry (I was a bit frusterated). Please end this discussion about my personality and could you (plural) not completely ruin my reputation on this site by telling everybody about this?
    Last edited by MechWarrior; 10-10-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast