Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

2 members and 3,201 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

View Poll Results: What kind of snake should my friend get?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corn Snake*

8 29.63%
  • Garter Snake

1 3.70%
  • Kingsnake*

5 18.52%
  • Hognose Snake

2 7.41%
  • Something else

11 40.74%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What kind of snake should my friend get?

Quote Originally Posted by MechWarrior
    Actually BPs are always at the PS because it's a popular snake. I've never even heard of AHSs because they're never there.
    You do realize that the "PS" isnt the only place you can purchase a snake?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

The reason I might seem disrespectful (and that's only for this topic so far) is b/c I'm not exactly getting any useful information here...
    Hi,

The information provided was fine.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Actually BPs are always at the PS because it's a popular snake. I've never even heard of AHSs because they're never there.
    A pet shop would probably be the last place I would suggest buying a reptile... Your friend would be best served by looking into reputable breeders, no matter what type of snake he may get.

That said, I think you've received quite a bit of useful information from members (including recommendations off of your list), so I'll leave it at that. If your friend has some more specific questions, should he end up choosing a snake as a pet, please send him over to BP.net. We would be happy to answer his questions.
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

well from my expirences you should get 1 of these a ball python, cal king,or a corn
    the ball pythons are cool looking but not very active they can grow up to 5 ft i think(if u do getr a ball get a black 1 thoes are reallllyyyy cool !!) cal king i have 1 myself their cool very active im not sure if all are picky eaters but mine is they grow up to 5 ft (if u get this 1 get a lavenader 1 or and uniqe 1 i forgot the name of it lol but he has black and white and cool stripes) and a corn snake usually when u get a corn they look like worms they can grow up to 4 feet (if u get 1 of these get a white 1 thoes look nice when they are fully grown)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonheki
    ft i think(if u do getr a ball get a black 1 thoes are reallllyyyy cool !!)
    A what????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzureN1ght
    A pet shop would probably be the last place I would suggest buying a reptile... Your friend would be best served by looking into reputable breeders, no matter what type of snake he may get.

That said, I think you've received quite a bit of useful information from members (including recommendations off of your list), so I'll leave it at that. If your friend has some more specific questions, should he end up choosing a snake as a pet, please send him over to BP.net. We would be happy to answer his questions.
    yea thats true thoes herps arent as good keeped as the breeders or the reptile stores im lucky cuz i got to this herp store which is like 15 min away from me and they sell everything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juddb
    A what????
    a black ball python people cross bread them with idk what and they come out like really dark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juddb
    A what????
    My brain fell out, too...don't worry about it.
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonheki
    a black ball python people cross bread them with idk what and they come out like really dark
    Sounds good buddy!!!

Thanks

I personally favor kingsnakes as they come in so many different colors and patterns and even some size variation... plus they're easy to feed (readily take prekilled mice) and ultra gentle and calm (at least mine are ).

That said, I think the advice given here is really great. The only time I consider buying a snake from a pet store, it's that knee-jerk "must rescue!" emotion (I do the same with birds... always buying the scruffy picked-on finch) but I don't.

Does your friend REALLY want a snake, or is he just wanting a pet in general? And is he ready for all the issues that could come up with a pet store snake (is it bred or wild-caught? Some pet stores either don't know or won't fess up and say they don't know) Can he afford it if the snake needs an emergency vet visit?

I'd agree with the others that if he really wants one, he should look around for a reputable breeder. Then he not only doesn't have to be limited to what the pet store has, he'll have an easier time of it health wise.
    Amarin Astarte | Serval@Large
    http://www.peatrax.com

1.0 High White Aberrant Cali King <Voodoo> | 1.0 Lavender Florida King <Rhybahn> | 1.0 MBK <Ochoa>
    1.2 Peafowl <Elton, Amy, Josephine> | 1.2 Silver Phoenix <Houin, Kouyou, Soleil>
    0.3.1 Pharaoh Quail <Lady Godiva (Tibetan), Unnamed (Tuxedo), Nefertari (Italian), Unnamed (Normal)>
    2.0 Button Quail <Halfpint (Normal), Royale (Red-breast)> | The Zebra Finch Collective | 20 gal fishtank | 1.0 Crowntail Betta

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast