Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

2 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What kind of snake should my friend get?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corn Snake*

8 29.63%
  • Garter Snake

1 3.70%
  • Kingsnake*

5 18.52%
  • Hognose Snake

2 7.41%
  • Something else

11 40.74%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

What kind of snake should my friend get?

I know for sure that it should be one of those beginner snakes, so that's what all the options are. *This snake is availible right now in the store
    Herps I own: 0.1 Northern Brown Snake

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What kind of snake should my friend get?

California Kingsnakes, and Honduran Milksnakes are my favorites remind your friend to check the laws in his state, some states have restrictions, like here in GA you cannot own the following cornsnakes, ratsnakes and a few others on your list.

Does your friend have a favorite, is he looking for something specific as far as size and or color?
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Corns and AHS are easily the best starter snakes...AHS are hard to get right now, so that leaves the plentiful corns.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Ball_Pythons
    California Kingsnakes, and Honduran Milksnakes are my favorites remind your friend to check the laws in his state, some states have restrictions, like here in GA you cannot own the following cornsnakes, ratsnakes and a few others on your list.

Does your friend have a favorite, is he looking for something specific as far as size and or color?
    Dude, most of my friends live in my state (and this friend of mine even lives in the same city as I do) so that's a pretty futile and way-too-cautious precaution in my state as almost any snake from the store is %100 legal (there are nearly NO restrictions). Look at the star thingy (this:*). If it's availible in my local petstore in my local city chances are it's pretty legal. About my friend: he barely knows anything about snake species so I'm sure he won't mind. If I were him I'd get the kingsnake though.
    Last edited by MechWarrior; 10-08-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion
    Corns and AHS are easily the best starter snakes...AHS are hard to get right now, so that leaves the plentiful corns.
    What does AHS stand for? And my local petstore currently has only one corn and 6 kingsnakes, so it's really "the plentiful kingsnakes".

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MechWarrior
    Dude, most of my friends live in my state (and this friend of mine even lives in the same city as I do) so that's a pretty futile warning (and in my state almost any snake from the store is %100 legal. There are nearly NO restrictions) Look at the star thingy (this:*). If it's availible in my local city chances are it's pretty legal.
    First not a dude second I was just trying to be nice and remind you of things that some people are not aware off or forget, sorry for trying to be helpful, I guess next time I see your name I will just move along, have a nice evening.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechWarrior
    Dude, most of my friends live in my state (and this friend of mine even lives in the same city as I do) so that's a pretty futile warning (and in my state almost any snake from the store is %100 legal. There are nearly NO restrictions) Look at the star thingy (this:*). If it's availible in my local city chances are it's pretty legal.
    I think that she was just trying to help out, hon. She said the ones she thought were nice, then said it's possible that they could be illegal in your state... no need to jump on her for being thorough in her recommendation.

I notice you don't have Ball Pythons on your list--a BP was my first snake and he's been a gem to work with. That said, I've never owned any Colubrids--but if I was going to, I'd go with a Leucy Texas Rat Snake
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

I dont understand why you are making decisions for your friend to buy an animal. But anyway as far as colubrids go why not african house snakes. They are georgous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Ball_Pythons
    First not a dude second I was just trying to be nice and remind you of things that some people are not aware off or forget, sorry for trying to be helpful, I guess next time I see your name I will just move along, have a nice evening.
    I'm sure most of your info is helpful but in this case it happened to be entirely useless info. You're also getting me nervous...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzureN1ght
    I think that she was just trying to help out, hon. She said the ones she thought were nice, then said it's possible that they could be illegal in your state... no need to jump on her for being thorough in her recommendation.

I notice you don't have Ball Pythons on your list--a BP was my first snake and he's been a gem to work with. That said, I've never owned any Colubrids--but if I was going to, I'd go with a Leucy Texas Rat Snake
    BPs aren't on the list because sometimes they have feeding issues. That's not a very good case for a begginer is it?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast