Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,618

3 members and 2,615 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Probe placement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Probe placement

I agree with Juddb, I tape the thermostat probe directly to the flexwatt heat tape and then adjust the thermostat according to the readings I get with my temp gun. You want the temps to be correct where the snake spends it's time (on top of the substrate) which is going to be several degree colder then directly on the heat tape, but you'll have more stable temps if you tape the probe directly to the heat tape.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    I agree with Juddb, I tape the thermostat probe directly to the flexwatt heat tape and then adjust the thermostat according to the readings I get with my temp gun. You want the temps to be correct where the snake spends it's time (on top of the substrate) which is going to be several degree colder then directly on the heat tape, but you'll have more stable temps if you tape the probe directly to the heat tape.
    But the only thing with me is that some of my racks dont act right if i place the tstat probe right on the flexwatt, with helix on my 15qt rack i have to have the probe right next to the flexwatt not touching it....Wierd i know. Otherwise yes tempguns are really the way to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I have it on thermostat with digital thermometer/hygro. I'm using a small ceramic heater in the room to keep the room temp up as it has gotten cold here in Mass. I'm using an appropriately sized heat mat on the thermostat. He just ate last night, so I want to make sure it's warm enough for him. He's been a champ so far. Only just got a week and a half ago and he has maintained his previous eating schedule of Sundays. I was leaving him alone the first week, but decided to try and feed and he tore it up right away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah!
    I have it on thermostat with digital thermometer/hygro. I'm using a small ceramic heater in the room to keep the room temp up as it has gotten cold here in Mass. I'm using an appropriately sized heat mat on the thermostat. He just ate last night, so I want to make sure it's warm enough for him. He's been a champ so far. Only just got a week and a half ago and he has maintained his previous eating schedule of Sundays. I was leaving him alone the first week, but decided to try and feed and he tore it up right away.
    So your thermometer probe is sitting under the substrate? Or on top? Also what are your current temps and humidity? Its important that your temps are up to par especially after a meal, otherwise you may have regurge problems etc.... Good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by juddb
    So your thermometer probe is sitting under the substrate? Or on top? Also what are your current temps and humidity? Its important that your temps are up to par especially after a meal, otherwise you may have regurge problems etc.... Good luck
    The probe is on top of the substrate currently. The temps from my last update (my girlfriends text messages his temps and humidity) are 88 under the warm hide and 84 on the cool side with humidity at 52%. She upped the thermostat a bit, so we'll see what happens. I'd think from past experience he should be fine at those levels until I get home in a couple of hours. She said he is under his warm hide (of course BTW, thanks Judd!

Thanks

What kind of temp gun do you recommend and how much do they typically run? Sounds like it may be an investment to think about.
    Sophia

1.0 albino Kenyan sand boa, Ron, 2006
    0.1 anery Kenyan sand boa, 2007, in the works
    1.1 cats
    a whole bunch of 8th graders (I'm a special education teacher)

Thanks

Well i have a few different kind, but if you go tot the pro exotics website or reptile basics website you would be able to get one very affordable. Temp guns range between $20-hundreds of dollars. I personally found a new favorite from extech.... But you decide which one you want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12