Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

2 members and 3,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

What Offspring Would a Ringer Give? And a Het Question..

Ok, one of the members here has an awesome Ringer that I really want to get... It's a male and I was wondering what offspring he would give if you bred him to a 100% het pied or pastel ( I have neither... yet... but still)
    Also, how do you figure out the precentage a snake is het for?? Like, how do you know a snake is 100% het or 66%het?

Thanks

Re: What Offspring Would a Ringer Give? And a Het Question..

50% het is when you get a Xy XX pairing where X is dominate and y is recessive. theoretically 50% of the offspring would have the y gene but it wouldnt be visable due to its recessive nature. now.. if you mate Xy and Xy you get 25% visable morphs, and the other 75% (lets say 3 out of 4 eggs) 2 of the 3 would be het for said recessive gene so 66% pos. het. now if you pair yy and Xy you get 50% visable morphs and the other 50% are 100% het.

other correct me if i am wrong.

mind you the percentages of getting morphs is per egg not per clutch... some lucky chumps hatch great odds. some other saps don't hatch out the right egg/gametes.
    0.3 wild type ball
    0.1 spider ball
    1.0 bumblebee (spider x pastel)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moriar
    50% het is when you get a Xy XX pairing where X is dominate and y is recessive. theoretically 50% of the offspring would have the y gene but it wouldnt be visable due to its recessive nature. now.. if you mate Xy and Xy you get 25% visable morphs, and the other 75% (lets say 3 out of 4 eggs) 2 of the 3 would be het for said recessive gene so 66% pos. het. now if you pair yy and Xy you get 50% visable morphs and the other 50% are 100% het.

other correct me if i am wrong.
    Took me 7 tries but I think I get it... Thanks..

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Try this thread to figure out some basic rules of genetics:

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=52847

Essentially, you have to know the parentage of an animal to know what, if anything, it is het for. And the percentages only mean that the animals in question is a POSSIBLE HET.....meaning that it MAY or MAY NOT be het for some recessive trait. The precentage numbers merely indicate what statistical chance that animal has of actually carrying the recessive gene.

As for ringers....unless the animal is KNOWN to be het for pied...or at least possible het....then chances are it is simply a normal with the "ringer anomaly" that has no predictable genetic influence.

In other words...if the animal is "just a ringer" with no other genetic information...then it will most likely simply be a very cool looking normal. BUT...it never hurts to breed it to a known pied or het-pied to see if something fun pops out!
    -- Judy

Thanks

This past season I bred two very good looking Ringers together, all normal babies. I also bred a 100 % het for piebald male to a normal female, 3 ringers out of 6 babies. Next season I will breed the 100 % het male to the Ringer female. This female has the best "pied marker belly" I have ever seen by the way. Let,s see what comes out of it.

Chris van Kalken
    The Netherlands

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris van Kalken
    This past season I bred two very good looking Ringers together, all normal babies. I also bred a 100 % het for piebald male to a normal female, 3 ringers out of 6 babies. Next season I will breed the 100 % het male to the Ringer female. This female has the best "pied marker belly" I have ever seen by the way. Let,s see what comes out of it.

Chris van Kalken
    The Netherlands
    Awesome, good luck. I definitely want to see pics of what comes out...

And thanks, Judy, for the link..