Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

1 members and 3,393 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Condensation Question

Hi guys.

Finally got my first rack set up and the temps/ humidity stabilized. I drilled a row of holes all the way around every tub. The humidity (as read by an accurite) is around 55-60% in each tub. The only problem is sometimes (in the morning or at night mostly) the very front of some of the tubs fog up with condensation. Is this bad for my snakes? Any idea how to stop this form happening? The condensation is always limited to the very front of the tub, and is never enough to get the subsrate wet or anything, it just seems odd.

Thanks!

Go NCSU Wolfpack!

Thanks

Re: Condensation Question

That is odd. I've heard that ideal ranges of humidity for BPs isn't high enough to cause condensation. Who knows. If your hygrometer says its ok, I wouldnt worry too much right now. Maybe you could buy another one when you get a chance, just to verify the humidity.

Is your water dish on the side of the condensation? And is it above your UTH?

The only problem with condensation is bacteria, and it sounds like that wouldn't be a problem being as it's only a small amount. Just keep the tub clean.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Constant condensation would concern me...due to mold or mildew buildup...and also if it gets the substrate wet.

Try drilling/melting some more holes on the one side that is experiencing the condensation. And check the proximity of the water dish..it could be the culprit and simply moving it to a different spot in the tub, away from the heat source might help.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The side experiencing the problems already has quite a few more holes in it than any other side, and the water dishes are near the side experiencing the problem, but that side is the cool side. I will try moving the water bowls around today and seeing if it helps. I probably should have mentioned that it can get very humid in general here (the acurite in our room reads 44% right now on its own) so that might be contributing to the problem.

Go NCSU Wolfpack!

Thanks

condensation inside of tubs the way you are describing it, being troublesome in the morning and evenings tells me that you've got a temp change in the room. The ambient air outside the racks is more than likely 10+ degree different than the temp inside. Your heat tape is working a little more than normal and its cooler outside the tub. The end result is the water buildup on the inside of the tub.
    Support my efforts to raise awareness and donations to the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my Grandfather Eugene......
    www.awalktoendalzheimers.com

"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session." - Benjamin Franklin