Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

2 members and 3,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: Do you have your BP in a tank or tub?

Voters
835. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tank

445 53.29%
  • Tub

390 46.71%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Do you have your BP in a tank or tub?

yea but how would you provide a day/night difference in a tub? isnt it all dark?

Thanks

Most tubs are transparent. Regular house lighting will still penetrate the tub. Lights on in the day, off at night. As long as they can still differentiate between the two photo periods.
    0.1 07 Normal ~Zelda~
    1.0 07 Spider ~Link~
    1.1 07 Pastels ~Le Mon . Girlie~
    1.0 07 100% Het Albino ~Mr. Man~
    0.1 07 Albino ~Candy~
    0.0.1 09 GTP ~Noodle~

iHerp

Thanks

k thanks for the advise devious...i mite have to do that cuz it's hard to keep the humidity up in glass tank.

Thanks

I have 8 in tanks and 11 in tubs. Just ordered my rack tonight! Can't wait to get everyone in. I got an 11 high 2 wide, a 40 tub hatchling rack and a 5 high 66 qt size for my large adult females. They even come with heat cable. It's going to be so much easier. Should get them just in time for when i move to a bigger apartment (no more room for snakes) on Nov 1.

Tubs all the way!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    For a snake that spends 99.5% of their time in a burrow or other hole in the ground, a transluscent tub that holds temps and humidity at a consistent level, is a very suitable enclosure. These animals don't need constant activity or stimulation to be happy in their environment. I don't think they would eat, shed properly, breed or successfully reproduce if they weren't content in their environment.

These snakes rely on temperatures and humidity being at proper levels all the time, and in a glass tank that is constantly sucking the heat out so it can equalize itself between the temp of the room and the higher heat in the tank, it's just not very efficient.

Tanks are drafty and difficult to maintain if you don't have the proper equipment. They need to be insulated and the screen top covered before they even work well. Glass is a good conductor of heat, but not a very good insulator, so you're constantly going to be fighting that problem and worrying about temperature swings. Storage tubs and snake-specific plastic enclosures are made to hold in heat and keep it in.

If you want to see your snake, open the tub(same as if you were in Africa, if you want to see the snake, break open the hole or termite mound). There are some great storage boxes that are very transparent. The Sterilite Clearview tubs are nice as are the Iris boxes. I use the Clearview tubs in my bigger rack(8 shelf) and I can see each and every snake, and what they are doing. I'll take a picture so you can see.

Alot of people just aren't willing to spend the hundreds of dollars it takes to set up an aquarium properly, not to mention the work it takes to maintain the enclosure, take it outside on a regular basis and break it down for cleaning, the money it costs for electricity and all of the heating required, and tanks are heavy and fragile. One wrong move, one bump up against the bathtub, and there goes a huge crack up the side of your tank.

Tubs... I can throw down a flight of stairs if I want to Easy to clean, don't have silicone that retains the smell of urine/feces, don't weigh 100lbs, easy to heat and keep humid, inexpensive to replace, and the snakes thrive in them.
    Thank you.... I use rack systems because my collection wont stop growing, and i want my snakes to be happy. Also i live in an apartment. I could only imagine what my electricity bill would look like if all my snakes were in glass tanks.

Thanks

Like many, I started using tanks when we were only keeping one or two as pets. Once our group started growing, I switched to tubs and then tubs in racks.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

got two tanks now...when i get the funds gonna switch to tubs.

!| ~ JP ~ |!
    Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Ball Python: Samuel L. Jackson
    1.0 Pastel Red-Tail Boa: Twitch

Thanks

All of mine are in tubs in racks. Soo easy to lift clean and bleach out.. no problemos.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, guys, I truly understand the multiple reasons you gave in favor of tubs, but one thing stands out over all: Multiple snakes.

When you have more than, say, 4 snakes, of course tanks would be impractical. They take up a ton of room and you can't stack them. A rack system, therefore, would be a great space saver and way to heat all those enclosures 'at once' as it were. However, do not forget the existence of display cages. When built (or ordered) right, you can have 4 cages stacked and get the same benefits of simpler heating with flexwatt and saved space, as well as better heat and humidity control...and STILL have a great looking cage with naturalistic decor that you, your friends, and especially your snakes can love. Yes, they can get heavy - at least more so than tubs - but if you put a good locking wheel system on them (the same as I have seen needed on large racks) then moving them isn't a challenge.

Tubs are great and fine for those who are attached to them, and they can be real saviors when your collection is huge...but for those who only have 1-4 snakes and will never increase their collection beyond that (like me because I can't), then tanks and display cages are the way to go for enjoyment and beauty.

Just my
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

ninja161 (10-16-2009),tsshields (09-21-2009),Vypyrz (06-13-2009)

Thanks

what do you mean tub? I never even knew i had a choice....

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast