Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,268

2 members and 3,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: Do you have your BP in a tank or tub?

Voters
835. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tank

445 53.29%
  • Tub

390 46.71%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Do you have your BP in a tank or tub?

Quote Originally Posted by Bright202
    You should consider switching, you will think it's the best choice, trust me!
    I don't have $100s to get one.. C'mon I'm just a kid not a milionare.. lol
    But I will probably switch once I get a corn snake and a femal juvie bp.. soon... after Christmas...I hope.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonsRule
    But I will probably switch once I get a corn snake and a femal juvie bp.. soon... after Christmas...I hope.
    Really all you need is a thermostat- $75-$100
    tub-$10 (if that)
    flexwatt- $5 (not even)
    and you good, use the hides from your tank, you will probably end up liking it better, you don't have to be a "millionaire"
    Mitch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonsRule
    I switched to tubs, and I can't tell you the amount of money I have saved not having to try out 15 different heating configurations and trying to regulate humidity. I'm a beginner, and making the switch has been tremendously helpful.

Thanks

my sire sotek is in a tank and will stay in his sweet palace! i have just finished my 5 adult rack which will house his females 1 to 2 normals a pastel and a spider come november.
    0.3 wild type ball
    0.1 spider ball
    1.0 bumblebee (spider x pastel)

Thanks

Alright...I just have to say it. Please don't be insulted or upset all you tub people out there, but I just don't understand how a plastic, semi-transparent at best, box that could be mistaken for a clothing container is a thrilling enclosure for a snake. I understand the space saving concept for breeders, and I also understand the whole temperature and humidity control issue, because glass can be quite a challenge to regulate, but you have to open the tub to even see your pet. And although I have seen a few pix of decor in a tub, you can't put in much and wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

I guess it's just a thing of mine, but I prefer to be able to see and watch my little one...even though it's usually only in the late evening (which is a good arrangement since I'm away at school all day). The same goes for my corn snake and leo gecko in their 10gal tanks. I've never really had a problem getting temps right, though humidity can be challenging in dry Colorado, and it's really nice to have the decorated tanks in the bedroom...even when the snakes are in their hides.

Call me old fashioned, but to me plastic tubs are for storage and are not very nice to look at anyway. Eventually, I intend to put both my snakes into custom built wood/plexi enclosures which will be even nicer and easier to maintain than the tanks.

Ok, end rant.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

dkwalton (07-21-2009),ninja161 (10-16-2009),Sammy J. (08-03-2009),tsshields (09-21-2009),Vypyrz (06-13-2009),zhang317 (02-19-2009)

Thanks

For a snake that spends 99.5% of their time in a burrow or other hole in the ground, a transluscent tub that holds temps and humidity at a consistent level, is a very suitable enclosure. These animals don't need constant activity or stimulation to be happy in their environment. I don't think they would eat, shed properly, breed or successfully reproduce if they weren't content in their environment.

These snakes rely on temperatures and humidity being at proper levels all the time, and in a glass tank that is constantly sucking the heat out so it can equalize itself between the temp of the room and the higher heat in the tank, it's just not very efficient.

Tanks are drafty and difficult to maintain if you don't have the proper equipment. They need to be insulated and the screen top covered before they even work well. Glass is a good conductor of heat, but not a very good insulator, so you're constantly going to be fighting that problem and worrying about temperature swings. Storage tubs and snake-specific plastic enclosures are made to hold in heat and keep it in.

If you want to see your snake, open the tub(same as if you were in Africa, if you want to see the snake, break open the hole or termite mound). There are some great storage boxes that are very transparent. The Sterilite Clearview tubs are nice as are the Iris boxes. I use the Clearview tubs in my bigger rack(8 shelf) and I can see each and every snake, and what they are doing. I'll take a picture so you can see.

Alot of people just aren't willing to spend the hundreds of dollars it takes to set up an aquarium properly, not to mention the work it takes to maintain the enclosure, take it outside on a regular basis and break it down for cleaning, the money it costs for electricity and all of the heating required, and tanks are heavy and fragile. One wrong move, one bump up against the bathtub, and there goes a huge crack up the side of your tank.

Tubs... I can throw down a flight of stairs if I want to Easy to clean, don't have silicone that retains the smell of urine/feces, don't weigh 100lbs, easy to heat and keep humid, inexpensive to replace, and the snakes thrive in them.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Tubs all the way here

Thanks

1 of mine is in a tank now. Other 3 are in tubs. Tubs are SO much easier.
    Once my Reptile Basics rack gets here, me and my snakes are gonna be happy campers.

Tubs for everyone
    0.1 07 Normal ~Zelda~
    1.0 07 Spider ~Link~
    1.1 07 Pastels ~Le Mon . Girlie~
    1.0 07 100% Het Albino ~Mr. Man~
    0.1 07 Albino ~Candy~
    0.0.1 09 GTP ~Noodle~

iHerp

Thanks

Sanchez is my first bp and i have him in a tank...i have a ? in a tub how would you do the lighting? would you get a clear top or do they not need the light as long as they have an uth?

Thanks

There is no need for any extra lighting. BPs are nocturnal.

From the caresheet:

"LIGHTING
    Neither UV lighting or supplemental lighting is required for ball-pythons. They do well with ambient room light, so long as the light is not constant and some sort of day/night schedule is provided. Excessive lighting can induce high stress levels in these nocturnal creatures."

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=59
    0.1 07 Normal ~Zelda~
    1.0 07 Spider ~Link~
    1.1 07 Pastels ~Le Mon . Girlie~
    1.0 07 100% Het Albino ~Mr. Man~
    0.1 07 Albino ~Candy~
    0.0.1 09 GTP ~Noodle~

iHerp

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast