Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

1 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

please help!! vet mishap!!!

So my ball came back positive for pinworms. So I went ahead and got the blood a dose of panacur to be on the safe side.

Everything goes good except for when my vet puled the plunger out the guy spit a little bit out of his mouth.

I get home and he's shot a little out of his nostrils on top. I clean him up and return him to his home. But now there's an ever so softly pop when he breathes that wasn't there before. What happened?!?

Did the dumbass vet get some meds in his trachea?? What should I do? Can I do???

Please help!!!!!!!

Thanks

Re: please help!! vet mishap!!!

The only time I've read about a popping sound is when people here have discussed RI. I would call the Vet tomorrow and see what is up.

Thanks

A "popping" noise is a sign of a RI. Also a clicking sound is a sign of a RI. A snake should not have snot or anything kind of fluid coming out of it's mouth or nose. I'd call the vet back tomorrow and tell them what's going on.

Not something you want to let go since RI's will not just go away. If left untreated it will end up killing the snake, if that is what the snake has.

Up the humidity and heat in it's enclosure.

EDIT:
    I'm confused. Is this Sula you are talking about or one of your BP's?
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Well that's my first thought. But man everything tub wise has been perfect. And I've never noticed it before. And it wasn't fluid allison. It was just a dab of the panacur. Which I freaked out about.

It just started doing it right after the vet visit. I'm gonna call him again in the morning. I called his house and left him a message. He hasn't called back yet.

This is rediculous. I'm gonna change vets. I'm not happy with this place.

Until then should I up temps or humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl
    The only time I've read about a popping sound is when people here have discussed RI. I would call the Vet tomorrow and see what is up.

Thanks

I doubt it would be RI. could be just some fluids that didnt go in right. Just like when I take my ball and stp a bath, they dip their head into the water and get some water in the nostrols. When I take them out they wheeze and pop, but the next day its fine. Although I would warn the vet in case and see what he or she wants to do. Good luck
    -Linh
    0.1 Sumatran Stp
    1.0 Pastel BP

Thanks

That's what I'm thinking. The tub is controlled with helixs. Room is controlled with a digital oil filled heater. So temps and humidity are spot on. I have ocd so it has to be perfect or I go nuts. Haha

I went ahead and made an apointment with another vet in my area that seems far superior to my current one. She published books on reptiles and whatnot.

I'm gonna get her opinion. My vet just isn't calling back. So ill see how good she is. I hope it isn't an ri. I've never heard it before. Or seen bubbles or excess mucus or saliva anywhere. Ever.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals. I'm worried like any attentive keeper would be. Wish me luck!

Thanks

Any updates?
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Didn't know if it was clear Al. But its sula. The ball python came back with pins. So I decided to go ahead and get sula on a round of 2 panacur doses.

I couldn't go yesterday. I had a dentist appointment. I called and told em I couldn't make it. They also told me they charge 55 bucks just to check the animal out. Which I thought was crazy!!

But anywho I get home late and check on him and what do you know?!? No popping noise!!! I'm guessing he cleared it up. It had to have been the meds causing it. I just bumped the humidity up a smidge to help him break it up.

Lowered it again yesterday cause it was gone already. I'm keeping a close eye on him though for the next week to make sure.

Here's a question though. He's eating frozen thawed as the ball is. Is it safe to place the panacur inside the rat to reduce the chance of him or the ball for that matter spitting it back up??

That and thered be no stress of shoving that syringe down they're throats?

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid
    Any updates?

Thanks

dang guy did it again!!

Went ahead and had the ball checked for parasites again. Sure enough she's got pinworms and coccidia again.

I guess the first round 2 months ago didn't take care of it. So I got 4 doses for each snake. 2 weeks apart. Went ahead and got doses for both snakes to be safe again.

But the blood spit all his back up again! Doesn't matter how far you get it down his throat. He spits it back up.

I guess I'm taking him to the vet to get it administered on friday. What a pain!!!

Sorry for the rant

Thanks

Did the vet give you a syring with a tube attached to it so it can reach the snakes stomach? Other then that I can't give much help on getting a snake to take his meds unless it's a needle and I need to inject it in to the snake.
    ---=ALLISON=---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast