Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

2 members and 3,214 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Quick Question about provent a mite...again..

Ok, I treated Titus' tank last night and everything in it, after it all dried, I put Titus back in. At first he seemed fine, maybe a little more active than usual. Then the next time I checked on him, he was making very strange faces, like contorting it and yawning a lot. I totally freaked out, thinking somehow I had poisoned him even though I followed the directions exact! I think he may have been rubbing his face on his rock to get the mites off it. I could see mites jumping off him and Im hoping he was just annoyed with all the commotion. Do you think everything is alright? He is just balled up now and seems normal again but Im worried a little still. Any other people have an experience like this?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Quick Question about provent a mite...again..

I've not experienced that before, but if he had a heavy infestation, your suspicions may be correct. Just keep an eye on him and if you become alarmed again, you may want to have him seen by a vet just to make sure nothing else is going on.

Thanks

It is unlikely you poisoned him with the PAM (it actually hard to do with this product). If it had been poison he wouldn't have stopped acting strange. Once a poison gets to the point of making an animal "react" it is usually too late and they die quickly there after.

I would agree with you he was pry agitated by all the stress and was trying to get the mites off him (especially if he was really infested with them).

But just to cover the bases you did NOT treat his water dish correct?
    Sean

Thanks

No, we did not treat the water dish. I was pretty careful about reading the directions and I let my boyfriend do the treatment cause I didnt trust myself...lol. But I didnt see hardly any mites on him but he was soaking heavily still. He had several other treatments before the provent a mite that didnt work. I didnt really think he was poisoned, I was just scared!!! I had never seen a snake act like that. I was freaked out!!! Thanks for the quick responses.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crystalp705
    He had several other treatments before the provent a mite that didnt work.
    Did you scrub everything before the PAM treatment and after the "other" treatments? A build up of a bunch of different mite killers is not a good thing...not to mention some ingredients can become hazardous when combined with others...which isn't a good thing. PAM is safe on its own...but combined with other things and you have no idea what the outcome could be.

Just being cautious.
    Sean

Thanks

I agree with everything Sean said. Keep an eye on him and the PAM will quickly do its work on any live mites. Plus you'll get at least 30 days of residual effects to kill any mites as they hatch.

Thanks

Titus Pullo ftw!

</meaningless post>
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chz
    Titus Pullo ftw!

</meaningless post>

Thats exactly who he is named after, his full name is Titus Pullo! LOL> Anyway, his tank has been cleaned since the other treatments and everything seems fine. He hasnt even soaked the last 2 days so Im taking that as a good sign. I guess maybe I freaked out a little. I was worried something was wrong, but hes alright! Thankfully