Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

1 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Unhappy New here. Am I on the right track...

Hello,
    I bought a store bought wild caught 2.5ft ball that I had been watching in the pet shop for about a month. It seemed a bit nippy but healthy.
    I'm using a 3.5ft tall 1.5ft square terrarium with astro turf.
    After about two days no nipping, the snake is eating good, seems right at home. About a week later I noticed dry rusty patches along hos body and on his spinal ridge in different places. Research suggets high humidity, I have stopped misting bout a meter and treated the areas with a neosporin vaseline type equivalent since neo is not availible where I live. About a week after rubbing the snake entire body with the triple antibiotic He began a shed. Eyes clouded over and skin became greyish. There was also a blistered area which I messaged out the clear liquid within and applied more neo.
    The snakes status now is eyes clouded indevidual scales are falling off and skin is greysih. The areas that were affected by what I assume was blister deisease are slightly raised and grey. The snake seems to be in shed mod by his disposition. Also noted strangely, the snake has not defocated in the month and a week that I've owned him. There was a chalk like, chalk sized uric deposit after about three weeks of having the snake, which I removed right away.

My questions are...

1. Am I on the right track
    2. Should I wait until the shed is complete before I take further action
    3. How long does a shed usually take
    4. How often should my snake take a dump
    5. Is the astro turf a bad Idea
    6. Is an immediate trip to a vet needed

I hope you guys can help us!!!!

SerpHerp

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: New here. Am I on the right track...

Considering his history, you'll want to schedule a vet visit for him asap anyhow. He'll need a fecal check for parasites, and the vet may be able to identify exactly what's going on with his skin. If he is in shed, he'll need a high humidity to slough the skin properly. I'd recommend very regular cleaning and steriliizing of the cage until the cause of the blistering is identified and treated.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

put the snake on papertowels or plain newsprint in a quarantine type setup until you find out what the blisters are and get them healed. do not apply neosporin the entire body--that is what is causing the scales to flake off individually--because of that this will be a messy and probably troublesome shed. do not squeeze or mess with the blistered areas.

shedding usually take about a week, from the time the belly goes pink to the time they actually shed the skin off but this shed may vary because of the flaking caused by the neosporin.

time between defecations will vary, depending on what and how much the snake is eating, how old it is and in what kind of physical condition and also whether the snake has internal parasites.

do make an appointment to see a herp vet asap. as noted you need to have him tested for internal parasites. the vet will also be able to diagnose and recommend treatment for the blisters.
    - Emily

Thanks

As every one said take him to the vet, even without the blisters I would still say vet visit because he is wc. As far as deficating, when did you feed him last, what are you feeding, how often are you feeding, and about how old is he? I have a female about 1 1/2 years and she only goes about once every 4-6 weeks. Good luck and all the best to you and your new friend!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

I may be in the minority here but I take every new snake to the vet for a checkup and follow it up with a fecal.

As has been already stated in this thread, given the list of health issues he is experiencing and his history - you should make an appointment immediately. The vet will diagnose what's wrong, prescribe a course of treatment and get the little guy on the mend.

Thanks

All I can say is, take him to a vet, and consider switching him to a tub with flexwatt and a tstat. If you have any questions, just PM me

Mitch
    Mitch

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

A vet visit will cost around $40.00, at least in my area. A fecal check is $22 here. However, the local vet here will do a discount for multiple herps, with each additional animal being only $3 for the exam itself, so although the fecals are still 22 apiece, it's a LOT more affordable to take them all in for a checkup every year.

Just as you wouldn't think twice about getting a new puppy his exam and shots (even if he was free), don't hesistate to do the same for your snake. Just be sure that you search around a bit and find a local vet who has a good reputation and experience with reptiles--many vets have little to no experience treating herps. There are decent herp vets in most higher-population areas now, though.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Thanks for all of the insight guys, You all seem to be recommending the same thing so a vet visit on Monday is the plan. I'm almost certain that my astro turf set up was the cause of the bad patches. Shame that my snake has to pay for my inexperience. Oh well if and when he comes out of this OK I'll be sure and chime in from time to time to learn more about my new friend. You guys seem very knowledgeable and eager to lend advice. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

if the astroturf was wet for long periods or he laid in wet urine that soaked into it that could definitely cause blisters/scale rot. let us know how the vet visit goes. good luck!
    - Emily

Thanks

The astroturf bedding likely didn't help but most likely, being in a pet shop, this snake wasn't really all that well cared for. It's a rare and wonderful store that actually gives these snakes what they need to thrive.

As Emily suggested, I'd put him on plain paper towel layers while his belly skin is compromised. Viva makes a wonderful white paper towel that is soft and clothlike. Definitely a vet visit would be in order to check for internal parasites, that belly and a general once over for health. You can have the vet sex and weigh your snake during that visit.
    ~~Joanna~~